Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Looking for players for Storm King's Thunder

Edited 1653051780
Hello! I will be running a remote game of Storm King's Thunder, which will be meeting once every other week on Sunday evenings. The expectation is that the game will run from roughly 6:30 (ish) to 9:30 (again, ish) Eastern Time. People from any time zone are welcome, as long as you can be counted on to show up reliably. Audio would preferably be run through Discord, but if everyone is a good match for the game and the general consensus would be to use Roll20 audio, that would be fine. I try to run my games with as much player freedom as possible, allowing for freedom of roleplay in and out of combat. There will be swearing, and I put descriptions of actions into combat, so there will be some detail given of the violence inherent to the game. For example: stating that an arrow struck a goblin through the eye, killing it cleanly, rather than simply stating that the attack landed and the goblin died. This will not get excessively gory (to my mind). Players are also encouraged to describe their actions and the results thereof, so the results of your actions or reactions can be anything within the limits of what the dice allow. On that note, I will be using physical dice during the game, and welcome all of you to do the same. I'm happy to trust that there will be no dice fudging, provided the results don't get ridiculous. (Three nat 20s in a row will raise some eyebrows). This campaign can and will get dangerous for the characters, so please be prepared for the possibility of a character death. I will never use this as a tool to control you, but if you insult a dragon to its face and start a fight, don't expect it to bloody your nose and call it good. Any published material is okay with me for character creation, and we will be using rolled stats. The rules will be: Roll 4 D6s and drop the lowest number rolled. After rolling for all your stats, if the total comes to less than 70, you may reroll them all. Couple of hard rules: This game is LGBTQ+ positive, and all pronouns will be respected. No harassment of any kind, it will not be tolerated. If there are issues between players, please bring them to me and we can discuss possible solutions. Anyone is welcome in this game, regardless of race/creed/belief/politics. If this becomes an issue during the game and it cannot be resolved reasonably, I reserve the right to ask the instigator to leave the game. Finally, I have a few questions for anyone interested in joining the game, so I can plan accordingly. Do you heavily prefer combat, roleplay, or a healthy combination? Are you interested in having your backstory worked into the story of the campaign? Is there anything in particular that you are NOT comfortable with? What is your character idea for this game?  Hit me with your best shot! Please feel free to provide any other information you feel is pertinent or ask any questions you may have!
Hey there, Ferret here! The general splat about me is I'm a 35 year old gamer who has been gaming since I was 11. I got into D&D in college and then out of it during 4e and back into it some in 5e. Still don't know it well enough to run but I like playing it when the mood for high fantasy takes me. This seems like an interesting run and I'd love to step into Faerun again! From what you asked: Do you heavily prefer combat, roleplay, or a healthy combination? I prefer roleplay but with D&D a good amount of combat is also okay. I'd say 60/40 to maybe 70/30 split between roleplay and combat. I like to build up camaraderie in a collaborative storytelling exercise. Are you interested in having your backstory worked into the story of the campaign? I would like this, and to be able to work something in that makes sense. Starting at level 1 vs level 3 vs etc can mean different things after all. I'd rather start from lower rungs and try to achieve higher ones rather than being a scorned princess or secret super cool knight or something of the like. I'm more than fine working together on backstory events to tweak them so that they'd work instead of detract from the story. Is there anything in particular that you are NOT comfortable with? Aside from the basics (no sexual assault/violence, no queerphobia/real world racism, etc) I'm not a fan of racial bioessentialism (I.E. all orcs = evil, all elves = good, etc) and I'm not really looking for detailed gore on screen (e.g. detailed descriptions of torture and the like). What is your character idea for this game?  Hit me with your best shot! I know a scant bit of Storm King's Thunder but I believe it takes place in Faerun so! My first idea would be a Great Old One or Undying Halfling Warlock - probably one who made a Pact with Yog-Sothoth or Myrkul respectively depending on Patron. I'm leaning towards Undying Patron with a Halfling that made a Pact with the once-God Myrkul who is kept in prayer because that which was dead can never truly die. I'm figuring that they wouldn't want their new status as a chosen of a dead God to stay respected in the world and to keep the Sword Coast un-destroyed so they could dig deeper into these mysteries. My other offering would be a Samurai Fighter Dwarf. I like the idea of the Samurai as a courtly fighter, not entirely based strictly on Japanese myth. Thus the idea of different courts and knights/warriors/retainers has always interested me. I would want to portray a Dwarf samurai who would probably fight with hammer and/or axe to compliment their style.  Either way I would like to be a Face or backup Face of the group and either a Ranged or Melee striker type build to help the party. If this sounds good feel free to hit me up on discord at Ferretheim#2209
Hey there! I'm Victoria (she/her). I'm 22 and just graduated from undergrad! I'm based in PST time zone but can definitely make EST work (in fact one of the games I'm in is based in EST) I started playing DnD about 4 years ago, starting with 5e. I've played Call of Cthulhu a few times as well!  I've been in a couple long standing games, but my college group recently dissolved and I'm looking for another adventure. Do you heavily prefer combat, roleplay, or a healthy combination? I'm most interested in a combination of roleplay and combat, but if it's heavily shifted one way, I can adjust pretty easily! Are you interested in having your backstory worked into the story of the campaign? I really love backstory integration! It's one of my favorite aspects of DnD! I think it really works toward the collaborative story telling aspect of DnD. Is there anything in particular that you are NOT comfortable with? The only this i can think of is sexual violence or things like that, which are pretty well avoided but good to mention! What is your character idea for this game?  Hit me with your best shot My current character idea is a twilight earth genasi cleric, more of a desert themed bandit type character. The idea is that she likes to be a bridge for people to die peacefully, and doesn't really enjoy messing with the lines of who lives and dies too much. Here's my discord if you think I'd be a good fit! ArcticFlame32#9112

Edited 1653062174
Hey mate i would be keen to throw my hat in the ring to join your game. I am from australia but the time lines up well for me and won't be a issue for me making sessions. It has been a long time since i have been a player in a game so i am keen to play for a change. Do you heavily prefer combat, roleplay, or a healthy combination? I would definitely lean more with a combination. Are you interested in having your backstory worked into the story of the campaign? As a dm myself working in backstories to the plot always helps to feel connected. Is there anything in particular that you are NOT comfortable with? Outside of things getting obviously weird not really as long as things stay in good taste. What is your character idea for this game?  Hit me with your best shot! It has been a long time since i have been a player and i am replying to this thread as i saw it so i have not really thought much about a character. But i would probably either go a sorcerer, Barbarian or fighter for class. Spade#1824 and my discord tag in case you want to get in contact with me there.

Edited 1653161257
I can't wait! ♡
Hello from Florida, I am looking for a regular game and biweekly works almost perfectly for me. Though my schedule is wonky at best. Due to my job I work twenty-four hours on and forty eight hours off. Which means that roughly one out of every three sessions I would either have to miss or they would need to be moved to a different day. I know that is a lot to ask, but if I do not ask, I never get to play.  Do you heavily prefer combat, roleplay, or a healthy combination? I definitely prefer a healthy combination of the three, though I do prefer roleplay and exploration to mildly outweigh combat. Some of the most fun sessions I have ever had revolved around improv plays and hijinks more so than trying to kill something.  Are you interested in having your backstory worked into the story of the campaign? I most definitely am. It is far more fun if my character has observable ties to the world rather than vague things to be occasionally referenced Is there anything in particular that you are NOT comfortable with? Not really. Past pointless bigotry and needless over the top gore, there are few things that bother me or make me uncomfortable What is your character idea for this game?  Hit me with your best shot! I have been tossing around the idea of a Way of Mercy monk.  The race has not yet been decided, but I am tossing around a bronze dragonborn or tabaxi. As for the backstory, I think I would like to run with either a sailor or outlander background and might roll the fun stuff on the "This is your life" tables from XGE.  My discord tag is Jason_S #6002
Quick background: 48 y/o, he/him, been playing/dm-ing on and off since AD&D in the 1980's. Yes, I cut my RP teeth on the keep on the borderlands. I'm looking for a positive, stable, mature group who can have fun but also show up and be serious when the dice go clickity clackity.  I have limited availability for playing, Sunday evenings are actually great for me. I'm in a Saturday game on Roll20 with Discord voice, but I have at least a dozen full sets of dice that I can just roll in my little dice bin if we're pen and paper via Discord only.  Do you heavily prefer combat, roleplay, or a healthy combination? I like about 60/40 RP to combat, but I'm not that picky so long as it's not just hack and slash murder hobos Are you interested in having your backstory worked into the story of the campaign? Absolutely, that really adds to the overall story and drama Is there anything in particular that you are NOT comfortable with? The same things you listed--no prejudice at the table or I walk. I'm intolerant of intolerance. I play to have fun and leave the stupid back in the real world. Don't drag it into my D&D. Game/Theme-wise, I'm good for about anything. Be gory or fade to black. I love cinematic descriptions of great rolls and anything that adds to the immersion is great. What is your character idea for this game?  Hit me with your best shot! I have too many to count, my sons and I like theory-crafting with characters. I'm probably going to go with a tabaxi fighter/rogue (Inquisitive). I like the curiosity killed the cat theme, but also having the wisdom to stay alive. They aren't a Of course I'm happy to play most any class (except for druid, don't ask) to suit the needs of the party.
Hi there! I'm Paxton 21M (he/him) college student, living in PST. I've been playing D&D for about 6 years, DMing for 5. Not too much experience on roll20, but enough to run games on it lol. Been looking for a 5e game on Sunday afternoons for a while now, and this looks right up my alley. Thanks in advance for reading Do you heavily prefer combat, roleplay, or a healthy combination? a healthy combination for me personally. Somewhere around an even split. I definitely like the combat a lot and like to optimize and feel powerful in combat, but I also really really enjoy roleplaying, and being an active part of the story through the lens of someone else's perspective (the character) Are you interested in having your backstory worked into the story of the campaign? If at all possible! I've done this before, and I think it can create a more compelling story, but I understand how difficult it can be Is there anything in particular that you are NOT comfortable with? Not really comfortable with SA or anything in that realm, and would prefer that all erotic/sexual encounters not be roleplayed. Personally, I am also not comfortable RPing romance. I'm totally fine with it being in the game, I just don't want to be a part of it. What is your character idea for this game?  Hit me with your best shot! hmmmmm I'm a perpetual DM, so I have MANY character concepts floating around. I'm not too picky about what I play, I can have fun with almost everything!
Hello, My name is Jared, I am 35 (he/him) and I live in EST. I have been playing D&D since I was in high school, starting with AD&D, then 3.5, and now 5e. I have done a few other systems as well, Cypher, Call of Cathulu, Monster of the week, Lamentations of the flame princess, and the invisible sun. Over the last three years I really have not been able to do much in terms of TTGs or TTRPGs, and although my experience on Roll20 is somewhat limited, I would love to get back into the game with a stable, mature, inclusive, and fun group.  Biweekly Sundays are perfect for me.  Do you heavily prefer combat, roleplay, or a healthy combination? I like a healthy combination, if I had to break it down I might say Combat>Exploration>Social interaction but there really isn't any pillar of the game I don't enjoy. I also would add that I really enjoy difficult combat encounters with an emphasis on tactics and monsters that know what they are doing, just as much as I enjoy a good thought provoking puzzle. I also find myself enjoying the specific aspects my party gravitate towards, if I am in a heavy social interaction group I might like that more with them all, and the same for a combat focused group. I thoroughly enjoy the community story telling aspect of D&D in general.  Are you interested in having your backstory worked into the story of the campaign? Absolutely, I really enjoy being a part of the narrative, and I think that responsibility shouldn't just fall on the DMs lap, it is important for all at the "table" to do their part in telling this story. That being said, I would aim to create a backstory with some holes the DM could fill in by either plugging it into the main story or as a side plot.  Is there anything in particular that you are NOT comfortable with? Out of Game: intolerance, racism, close minded mentalities, harassment/discrimination, ideally politics could be checked at the door, I think the core of a good group would be a bunch of people getting together to tell a story together forging a friendship in and out of game along the way. In Game: Apart from child abuse, or sexual violence there isn't too much that would phase me. Most if not all descriptors would be welcome, anything that adds to the immersion is great.   What is your character idea for this game?  Hit me with your best shot! There are so many races and classes I have yet to play, or subclass I have yet to explore, I would really have no problem coming up with something at session 0 (if there was one), perhaps a race that fits the setting a Svirneblin Gnome Wizard from the underdark, A Half elf or Firbolg druid from Neverwinter woods, or a aasimar cleric whose religion ties into the story,  I do generally enjoy playing a casters. That being said I also have no issues filling a needed role within the party. I would enjoy the game using anything honestly, as long as I am playing with a good group.  Please feel free to provide any other information you feel is pertinent or ask any questions you may have! Thanks for taking the time to read this, and if it is any easier feel free to contact me on Discord if you have any questions Camulos#7543