Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Characters Health Not Saving

When I move character tokens to another map, the tokens' life changes to random numbers. It's the same every time, but it changes for both the tokens and on the character sheet. For example, the cleric PC is always at 34/34 HP even though he's got 77. It doesn't matter. This has caused a lot of issues. I'm using a bunch of API scripts, so maybe that's the issue...? libTokenMarkers TokenNameNumber GroupInitiative TokenActionMaker Aura/Tine Health Colors Combat Master Power Cards Alterbars.js MonsterHitDice 5th Edition OGL by Roll20 Companion Universal VTT Importer
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I've seen a similar issue with the Summon(?) script. The one that puts the default token on the map. Are these tokens that are being dragged from the journal tab onto a map? If so, check to make sure the tokens are set up properly. (link below). If these are tokens that are being copied from one map and pasted onto another, my guess would be to try disabling Aura/Tint Health Colors. That is a script that tries to do way more than its mandate and often leads to unexpected behavior. Also, if you are running any browser extensions that alter Roll20 (ex. VTTES) try disabling that and see if the behavior changes.

Edited 1653191629
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Not sure what is going on with OP's issue, but to Keith's first comment: If you are thinking of the SpawnDefaultToken script, there is a way to spawn PC tokens properly with that script, described here . If the method described there is not used, though, then PC sheets will revert to the current & max values of the default token (if the default token is outdated and using linked bar values, both likely) due to annoying api quirkiness. Not sure if the older "King's Summon script" has the same issues or not, though I suspect that is likely. *EDIT - back to OP's issue: are the default tokens saved without a linked bar for hp by any chance? If so, dragging a new copy out from the journal would just have whatever hp the last default token state had. The solution in that case would be to link a bar to hp and re-save the default token. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks David. SpawnDefaultToken was the one I was thinking of. I remember now that you had posted the proper method, but the reported problem above sounded similar to one happens if a user doesn't use the script correctly. And yeah, I gave up on King's Summon script after about a month of being unable to figure out why I wasn't getting the expected results.
Surok
Roll20 Production Team
I've had a similar issue for a few weeks now.
Sorry for the slow reply, but I never copy and paste from map to map; it's always dragged from the journal.  The token settings are such that bar 1 is linked to hp, and it doesn't update unless I select anything else from the drop-down, then select hp.  What killed me, though, is that there were some times (though not every time) that the character sheet would be messed up as well. And this whole thing is 4 of my players. One of them has never had this issue. I've updated the default tokens for the 4 affected characters and everything seems to be fine for now. Do I have to do this every time they level up from here on out? I didn't have to before.