Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP][D&D 5e][West March] Beginner Friendly West March Starting Soon, Looking for Players

The ceremony hall of the Training Academy is filled with hundreds of men and woman, some of them wearing the badges of active Department Agents, many more wearing the uniforms of trainees. Near the front of the crowd, several dozen trainees stand at attention, their dress uniforms shining almost as brightly as their hopes for their future careers. A loud voice calls out for attention, and the murmuring crowd goes silent.             “All rise for Director Quago!”             An older goblin man walks across the stage. His suit is somewhat rumpled and his white wig slightly frayed, but every eye in the hall gives the man their full attention and respect. As he stands at the podium, he looks over the crowd with a dour frown creased deeply from years of responsibility. He harumphs loudly, adjusts his monocle, and addresses the gathering.             “I’m not going to waste my time with long-winded speeches and congratulations. I’ve far too much to do and far too few hours to do it all in. So, let me keep this brief by reminding you all why you are here. This is a story all of you should be familiar with but it bears repeating.             Five years ago, our good king Thourun left the capital and visited Laufgraenn so he could personally inspect the farmlands suffering from blight. This was not a surprise visit; it was planned weeks in advance. All our agents were fully briefed. While the king was staying overnight in Laufgraenn, a druid who took it upon himself to try and solve the blight cast growth spells on the local flora. What’s the problem with that, you might be thinking to yourselves?”             Director Quago slaps his hand down on the podium with a resounding crack. “The problem was, he wasn’t authorized to do so! He didn’t notify anyone in the Federal Druidic Association of his plans, he didn’t seek a permit to cast plant growth rituals over a wide area, and he didn’t ask the town council for permission! And what’s worse, truly and terribly worse, is two Department agents knew what he was doing. They knew and notified no one, because they didn’t see the harm in it.” The director sweeps the hall with a fiery gaze, meeting the eyes of each graduating trainee. “Well, I think you all know exactly what harm there was in it. When King Thourun walked out of his room that morning and stepped on those five-foot long bananas that weren’t there the night before, not only did it cost him his life, but the ensuing pratfall destroyed twelve houses, four restaurants, and half the city hall. Eighty citizens dead, our king dead, all because a druid didn’t apply for a permit and two of our agents didn’t see the harm.” Agents throughout the hall reflexively salute the fallen monarch while director Quago wipes a single tear from his eye and adjusts his monocle. After his own salute and bow of the head, he resumes. “Now, here we are, with a fresh batch of newly trained agents ready to join the ranks. But let me make this clear: you are not here to be heroes. You are not here to ‘do the right thing’ or ‘follow the spirit of the law’ or any other such paladin-esque interpretation of law enforcement. You are here to Enforce. The. Bureaucracy. We have licenses and permits for a reason, and unless you want to see the words ‘accidental regicide’ on your annual review, you’ll do things by the book!” With a final wave of his gnarled green hand, Quago motions for the graduates to step forward. “By accepting the badge I am going to be giving each of you, you will be in turn accepting the massive responsibility of keeping our kingdom safe. Never forget it! Now, I’ll be calling your names alphabetically. And, welcome to the Department of Dungeons and Dragons.”   Greetings! I and several other DMs are starting a West March campaign and would like to invite you to it! Here are the details: Who are we? We are a small group of friends, some old, some new, who gather on a Discord server we call Dungeons & Diners & Dragons & Drive-ins & Dives. As you can imagine from the name, we primarily use it for D&D and other tabletop RPG systems. We have several different games currently going on and have many more past games under the belt. What is a West March? If you aren’t familiar, a West March is a style of D&D game where there are no set dates and times for sessions, nor a set roster of characters. The various DMs of the campaign will post when they are running a session and players sign up if they are available. This does mean that you are not guaranteed a spot in every session since (hopefully) many players will be joining the game and we want everyone to get a chance to play. What is the setting? The setting of the campaign is, as you can hopefully tell from the flavor text above, a decidedly silly homebrew world. The Kingdom of Tharingia has need of law enforcement agents which will be the role the characters fill. Think of it like the FBI but with swords and spells. Much of the content is intended to be humorous and plot elements will be light-hearted and fun. If you need a movie to compare to, Police Academy is a good example.  What are the rules? We have a handout in the game going into the details, but the short of it is we will be using all 5e published source materials, no homebrew materials, and generally following the rules as written. Player stats will be generated from a standard point buy system and leveling is being done by a modified milestone system. Are new players welcome? Absolutely! We are happy to teach and are very newb friendly. Even if you aren’t sure how regularly you can play, this is the campaign for you since each session will essentially be its own little story and you will not need to have detailed knowledge of previous sessions to participate. Where do you sign up? If you are interested in joining, or want to ask some questions first, just post a reply down below. I’ll send you a private message as quickly as I can with further details. 
If you play games at GMT friendly times I'd like to join? 🙂
None of the DMs are based in GMT, we are spread out between PST and EST, but there is plenty of overlap for you I think, as far as the weekends go. I'll send you a PM!
These people have been one of the most supportive group of friends i have seen on this website and i cannot wait to get into this new game and see what they will pull off
Super interested! based in PST, DMing and player expirience. been looking for a west marches style game and this looks cool!
Thank you for saying so, Tako! You are too kind. PJ, I'll send you a PM!

Edited 1653446223
I literally have no experience whatsoever but love RPG games and am finally trying to get into tabletops and such. Hoping I can start here :D PST time zone for me, but I'm pretty flexible and keep odd hours.
Sounds like an interesting Campain. I'm located within the PST timezone and would love to join you guys.
Hi James sounds very interesting if it good for uk time zones 
Hi, I am very interested. Not new to 5e but haven’t played much in the past 4 years so probably will be a few sessions to get my bearings again. I’m Cst . Thanks!
Hey, I am located in the EST time zone and am most definitely interested. I work every third day so my schedule is all over the place. 
Nice to get so much interest! I'll send you all a PM with our information!
 im interested 
Hey I'm definitely interested. Can also DM if you need a +1.
Hey to you both! I'll send you a PM with our info!

Edited 1653620068
I would like the opportunity to play I am in the EST time zone.