Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

GoDice and Roll 20

I saw a couple of post from 2 years ago about this. Here and here . Godice kickstarter campaign has ended and they have relese 2 API versions. ( Javascript and Unity ). The way I see it the API library can catch the rolls from the dices and then send them to the roll20 game which I think is something similar to what beyond20 browser extension does. I would like to ask for some guidance and documentation in how to implement such integration. 
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
There's no documentation for what you want to do. I've been slowly digging into building extensions to improve the R20 experience, but it's all been self discovery. It's something that can certainly be done, but whoever does it is going to be cutting a new trail.

Edited 1653352922
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It's definitely achievable, but you'll need to familiarise yourself with writing a browser extension (or xMonkey scripts... I'd definitely recommend an extension though) and the different browser contexts. The core of it is pretty simple, provided the GoDice API actually functions properly. It can be as simple as sending the die result to Roll20's chat input element, then sending a click to the 'send' button. That only needs basic DOM & Events knowledge, possibly the basics of async, though it looks like the GoDice API is largely events-driven. Turning that concept into something that provides a smooth UX and integrates well with Roll20 in a sheet-agnostic way? That's a different kettle of monkeys, and I'll echo what Scott said - whoever writes that software is also writing the documentation on how to do it.
I think it would be ace if we could include support (preferably using the same syntax as the main game) for dice rolling in the forums (e.g. of the campaigns themselves). Our gaming group can't get together all at the same time as often as we'd like, and being able to roll dice and play-by-mail asynchronously in between sessions would be fantastic. Dice roll Wheel

Edited 1653411583
Oosh said: It's definitely achievable, but you'll need to familiarise yourself with writing a browser extension (or xMonkey scripts... I'd definitely recommend an extension though) and the different browser contexts. The core of it is pretty simple, provided the GoDice API actually functions properly. It can be as simple as sending the die result to Roll20's chat input element, then sending a click to the 'send' button. That only needs basic DOM & Events knowledge, possibly the basics of async, though it looks like the GoDice API is largely events-driven. Turning that concept into something that provides a smooth UX and integrates well with Roll20 in a sheet-agnostic way? That's a different kettle of monkeys, and I'll echo what Scott said - whoever writes that software is also writing the documentation on how to do it. I've been testing the API it works for D6s for D20s shells you have to add a "translation" between dice coordinates and actual value when the API reads the value rolled. It uses the bluetooth API provided by some browsers. Chrome supports it, so I'm going with building an extension to be able to use this dices in a roll20 game.  Let y'all know how it goes.