Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[How To] Roll a Single Die per Group for Initiative

Quick Question. Does group-init support the rolling of a single die and giving all selected tokens that initiative value in the turn tracker? Problem. Roll one d6 die for all selected (or named) tokens and add them to the Turn Tracker with the turn set to the result of the single d6. Then, based on individually declared actions (selected before initiative was rolled), add a decimal value to each token in the turn tracker (based on the individual's action). Then sort, highest to lowest. This is made a little more complex as declared actions should be kept hidden before initiative was rolled. Current Solution. I've cobbled together macros using Initiative Tracker Plus, Group-Init, and ChatSetAttr. Start the round with ITP, run a declare macro to set an individual decimal value (on their sheet attributes), once all players/monsters are done, roll initiative using chatsetattr to write to an init-mule, then each player runs a macro to add/update their init value (combo of the init-die+declaration-decimal) to the turn tracker. Use group-init to sort. So, currently, it works but feels really clunky (3-steps). I keep thinking I should be able to use one API for this like group-init. InitiativeMaster seems a little overkill (and while it is trying to be generic, I'm wary of adding all of the 2e scripts to support it). ITP doesn't seem to have some of the finer grained controls of group-init? I'm pretty sure that if I want to add a group of tokens to the turn tracker, I need an API. Even if I dump them in the turn tracker without an order, I need a way to update all of them in some sort of automated way based on previously declared actions then trigger the tracker change when initiative is rolled (maybe scriptcards could do this?). The clunkiness really shows up when dealing with a group of monsters many of which are performing different actions. Thanks very much to any who respond! [ Background Info. Game version is 1e AD&D with interpretations] [If this is not the right forum for this, please help point me in the right direction! Thanks.]
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
I just keep an extra copy of each token group's token behind a dynamic lighting barrier or on another layer and use GroupInitiative with those tokens selected. This also prevents me from accidentally removing the group from the turn order by deleting the wrong token by mistake when they die. 
Thanks David! I've been doing that for the monster group, but because each different action has a different effect on turn order, it gets a bit chaotic (ex. innate before missile before melee, etc.). ie. while the overall die will set group init, I need to use decimals to sort the order - this is most important when ties crop up or timed actions (spells) are used. And of course, during combat, the monsters don't all do the same thing. But, yes, I did run into the dead monster issue too. Cheers
Victor B.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
What I do is roll a single token with group init and that stands for the group.  The challenge I find is I like to remove tokens from large battles to keep the battlefield cleaner.  I can sometimes delete the token that represents the init roll, which removes it from the turnorder.  If you reduce to 0 and mark as dead, and aura/tint color does that for you automatically, then it's a bit easier if you can deal with all the dead tokens.  
I'm gathering that the answer to the "quick question" is "no". To solve for my dilemma, maybe I can use ScriptCards to manage the process down to "1-step" (although it will use interrupts/buttons) for the PCs (using group-init to drop the named tokens into turn tracker) and the script will update the decimals using the basic tracker method. Monsters will still be multi-step if there are groups performing different actions. One More Question. It looks like Initiative Tracker Plus also requires group-init if you want to drop a group of bad guys into the turn tracker? (ie. ITP does not have that capability?) Thanks folks!