Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

5e SRD sharpshooter macro question

Hi, I'm trying to create my first macro (because I couldn't find one to copy that satisfies my very specific tastes xD) As stated in the title, I'm using the 5e SRD sheet and I'm trying to create a macro that will essentially do the same as using a  repeating attack, by which I mean calling an attack on the sheet that I created, but doing so while also utilizing a query for sharpshooter. The problems I am running into are: *I want it to output a clickable button for damage rather than auto-rolling damage, but I cannot figure out how to do that while also accounting for the query choice for sharpshooter (yes or no). I don't want the player to be queried twice as to whether to use sharpshooter or not. (i.e. not query once when rolling the attack and once when calling the damage, but rather utilize the same query for both even though the latter is dependent on the DM declaring a hit). Is this possible to do? And if so, how would I go about doing it? Appreciate any help! Sincerely, Beggers can be choosers, apparently. 
bump

Edited 1655585976
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi sebastian! If I understand correctly, you want to be able to choose sharpshooter via query when rolling to hit, and have that choice be respected when later rolling for damage? If so, this can't be done, since a query is a run-time choice and has no persistence across a second macro. It could be done with an API script of some kind, but honestly, the easiest solution for what you want to do is to just set up a second attack for the sheet for each weapon you might want to use sharpshooter with and choose that weapon when you decide to use sharpshooter. It's more stuff on the sheet, but it's the simplest way to keep consistency of attack and damage roll modifiers across separate rolls. If you name the sharpshooter version of the attack with an added symbol at the end like "Hvy. Crossbow - §", it also helps make it clear in the log that the Sharpshooter option was employed. Unless Rainbow Encoder sees this question and figures out one of his magical solutions, of course... :)
I can't say I know the specifics of the sheet/rule but the easiest way would be to have two different damage abilities. One with and one without sharpshooter. For example %{attack} &{template:default} {{Attack=[[1d20 -[[?{Sharpshooter|Yes,1|No,0}*5]] ]]}} {{Damage=[Roll](~@{character_name}|damage?{Sharpshooter})}} %{damage0} &{template:default} {{Damage=[[ 1d8 ]]}} %{damage1} &{template:default} {{Damage=[[ 1d8 + 10 ]]}} The trick here being that the Sharpshooter query ends up selecting which damage ability appears in the roll button.

Edited 1657840480
DM
Pro
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you Keith for your reply and explanation! That was indeed how I chose to solve the issue while chasing the, admittedly obscure, solution that I was looking for. Having returned to the issue several times during these 3 weeks to no avail, I finally chose to check my inbox in a last-ditch attempt in case someone had replied, and I'm glad I did. Thank you so much RainbowEncoder! Your reputation precedes you, and I can see why, because you do indeed deliver :D That was the exact solution that I was looking for, but I just couldn't figure out how to do it. Thank you so much! Sincerely, Sebastian Edit: for anyone else reading this, who are as inept as I am: the macros that the command button are calling (damage0 and damage1) should be placed in the abilities tab of the character. I do not know if this is a requirement, but I do know they have to be named "damage0" and "damage1" for this to work.