Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Use of tags in sheet's html definition

Hi, I suspect this has been answered already, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I just started modifying an existing sheet to better meet the needs of our game. I never used html before so it's possible that this will sound very stupid. Anyway. I saw in roll20's doc that they advise against using <table> tags for format the sheets. I am wondering if they mean using it to build the entire sheet's frame, or if they mean to not use it at all. The sheet I am editing is legacy, and it does use some tables here and there. In most cases, well, that seems like an appropriate use of a table. It's literally a grid layout of a bunch of stats. Is it ok to use tables in this context? Or is this tag outdated altogether?
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
If you aren't looking to make your sheet available in the sheet repository for public use, then it doesn't matter. That said, yes Table still has its place; it's just a much reduced place of only when you have tabular data. And even then, I might still go with something like CSS grid for the easier methods of making the content responsive.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
To add to what Scott says, while table still has its place (tabular data, not laying out character sheets), its rare that those places exist in charaacter sheets, so its generally better to avoid it completely. For character sheets, CSS Grid is better in every way. I'll have a hopefully simple post up on Monday demonstrating how to use CSS grid in depth here: <a href="https://cybersphere.me/" rel="nofollow">https://cybersphere.me/</a> But there are lots of pages out there, ane examples of grid use on the repo.