Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Xsplit and Roll20

Hi I'm trying to use Xsplit to broadcast my games and have a cleaner look to them, but I'm running into a couple of issues. Hopefully anybody who is familiar with using Xsplit to record/broadcast Roll20 can help. Basically I want to have a source in Xsplit that captures the player's point of view so that I can project it or record it etc.. First thing I tried is a window capture of the chrome window that has roll20 running on a player's game. The reason this doesn't work is that if I make any changes on the DM's side, they don't update on the capture until the window becomes active again. Meaning whenever I made a DM level change, I had to tab into the captured window for it to update. Every. Single. Time. Second thing I tried is to add a webpage source to Xsplit and open the map inside of that after logging in. This worked great for a while, until I tried to use dynamic lighting. For some reason, the walls created on the dynamic lighting layer just don't work in Xsplit's built in browser, making it so that in the capture I had, players could essentially see through walls. My hope is that someone knows of a workaround to make it so I can capture player's perspective in Xsplit.
So unless anyone else has a better idea, I will tell you the hacky way I got around this problem. The reason the chrome window capture was not updating the changes I made until I tabbed back into it was because that's just how chrome and other browsers work to save resources. If the window is not "active" then nothing on it updates until you actually look at it (Schrödinger's cat style). So the workaround I figured out is to use an "always on top" program on the window, then tuck it to the side of the screen. This works, but I do wish there was a way to have chrome ignore this "Schrödinger's Cat" thing. To the 3 of you that also had this problem, I hope it helps. To the one of you who's like "Why do it that way there's a much simpler solution" please let the rest of the class know.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Interesting. Thats a clever solution.