Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting - What happened to this fun tool?

Edited 1656107263
Maybe I'm missing something, but the new version of dynamic lighting is vastly inferior to the one it's replacing. Where are my auras? Where is the ease of setting up tokens as having low-light vision without having to give anyone their own light source? Where are half the useful tools from legacy dynamic lighting? This just really feels like a step back, or maybe I'm missing something. Update: found auras again, thanks Keith, I forgot about that.

Edited 1656089693
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Auras still exist (scroll down on the first tab of the token dialog). Auras are available to all users and have never had a connection to dynamic lighting. Define exactly what you mean by "low light vision". That term could mean many things depending on system. FWIW, light and vision have finally been separated, so that a person with some form of dark vision can also carry a light source that can be seen by others. Before it was either/or.

Edited 1656107568
As I recall, I could set each token as Vision or No Vision, but I remember there being a specific setting for the distance in bright and dim light the token could see, independent of which one was carrying the light. Now it seems you can't set a specific view distance in dim light, only in night vision. I see limit field of vision, but that seems to be for slicing the pie, or is it both slicing the pie and max distance?
The setting under LDL for 'distance' was simply how large of an area that the light provided, but it would not have prevented the token from seeing outside that sphere of light if there was another light source farther away that was not obstructed from view (by a wall). Unfortunately there has never been a true 'maximum vision distance' setting for tokens. I can find a couple suggestions  that are closed from not enough upvotes, but you might try creating a new suggestion to see if it gets traction now.
Is there a way to stop characters from dragging their characters over the dynamic lighting lines? I recall that being a very useful feature in the old tool.
It’s a single setting for both LDL and UDL on the page settings titled ‘Restrict Movement’. If that’s turned on and your players can still move through DL lines then come back for more help. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It's on the first tab, not the dynamic lighting tab (since it affects both)