Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP] Experienced DM - looking for fellow writers and creatives for game focused on roleplay and storytelling [lgbtq friendly] [audio/text] [25+]

Hello! I'm Lucy (she/her) and I've been a DM for almost 5 years now in a long-term 3-person campaign. It's been a genuinely amazing experience, and I'm excited to introduce dnd to other people and/or play with other experienced folks! Outside of dnd, I'm a 31-year-old lawyer and hobbyist writer. My games focus heavily on roleplay and collaborative storytelling, and the format is a hybrid of audio and text. To that end, I'm particularly looking for people who enjoy writing and creating complex/nuanced characters - so if that speaks to you, read on! DM style : I aim to set up intricate mysteries and plots, give npcs fleshed out drives/backstories, and provide a dynamic world that reacts realistically to your choices - essentially, I believe my role as a DM is to facilitate the story in a way that allows your characters to shine or be challenged in a narratively satisfying way. For my long-term campaigns, I tend to tailor the plot to your character motivations and backgrounds, so my players have a lot of input into the overall genre and themes of our games. "Lite" campaign : Once we gather a few people, I'd like to run a short mini-campaign to introduce everyone to each other and my style of GMing. Since it's not a full campaign, it's a fun/low-commitment way to get a sense of the game and see if we vibe. If we hit it off, I'd love to run something more in-depth and/or possibly merge this with my awesome long-term group. Format : Hybrid of audio and text! We'll start with audio/discord calls at first, as that'll make it easier to explain stats, rolls, and game rules for newbies. After we've gotten our feet wet, I've found that playing over a "live" session of text is incredibly compelling as it combines the improvisation, group dynamics, and structured rules of dnd with the depth and richness of traditional "post-by-post" writing/roleplaying. And lastly, I'm sure we'll also chat and plot over discord messages! Frequency : Likely a session once a week or once every 2 weeks, schedules permitting. A set day will be established once I compile everyone's schedules. Other details : We'll be using 5e on roll20, likely starting low-level. I'd say combat makes up roughly 20% of my games; it's meaningful when it happens, but the bulk's relegated to roleplay and character interaction. In many cases, you're more likely to solve a dispute through diplomacy/intrigue than an all-out brawl. If any of this strikes your fancy, I would love to hear from you! Please post below or send me a private message, with the following info: Name Age I'm most comfortable with players around my age: late 20s/early 30s, or at least 25+ Time zone and general availability Experience with dnd It's okay for you to be totally new to dnd, as long as you have a burgeoning interest! I've introduced a bunch of people to dnd now, and there's something uniquely exciting about helping new players discover the game. Writing sample or character sample I'm generally flexible on details, but the most important thing for me is creating a compelling story together and having a rich/immersive experience. And I think one of the best ways to get to know someone (in this setting) is to get a sense for how they write and convey their characters. So if you write for fun, I'd love to see a writing sample from you, whether it's a short story or a fanfic or a roleplay post - pretty much anything at all, whether related to dnd or not. Or if you don't have one, please describe the kind of character(s) you'd like to play! Any other info about yourself, what you're looking for, and whatever else you think would be helpful for me to know!
Name Bef Age 29 Time zone and general availability GMT+3, generally available in the evenings Experience with dnd 4 years total roleplaying experience, both with dnd and other systems Writing sample or character sample I hope it's okay to reference other sites that have a lot of examples of my writing? beformista on AO3 for fanfiction, gmo-of-a-game-master on tumblr for ttrpg related writing (including backstory of the favorite character I've made, and some character concepts I used in dnd) Any other info about yourself, what you're looking for, and whatever else you think would be helpful for me to know! Just mostly looking to get in touch with more people who like ttrpgs and looking forward to playing again, I've been looking for a campaign to take part in for some time and your post really spoke to me
Hello, I'm Maus! I'm in my early thirties living on the east coast, and I have every other Monday free, as well as Tuesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays free. I prefer evenings -- anything after 7PM EST is great for me. I've been playing tabletop for over five years now (I started on this account and have a few good thousand hours in) and have played DND hardcore for a year when I helped manage a DND server, and still play a little with friends. I would be interested in knowing exactly what setting you want to use and story you want to tell. I think both of those are very important for developing a character for a campaign! As for my writing, here it goes, a small snippet from an older RP: Near midnight Bae'ynrae makes her way to the tower. It's slowly becoming familiar, she dryly realizes, as the drow considers picking up a few pebbles for the road; there may come a day when she can teleport here with ease. Her familiar follows behind her, unusual for the beast, and Faeriira's quiet, more like an actual cat now. Bae thinks she's still stunned, but the girl doesn't really know. The little drow takes her time walking through Kraid's garden. Her hands brush through flowers, plucking a few and tucking them into her hair, though it doesn't bring her joy like she's used to. Still: it feels better than not doing it. So the flowers go in her hair. Their scent surrounds her and grounds her. Well. It's time to go. She turns back to look at the bright city behind her for a moment. Oh, city of splendors, may your lights guide me home. Bae'ynrae doesn't know how long she'll be gone from Waterdeep, but she'll miss it, and she'll miss -- that thought gets stomped down. There's no time for that. Once she's said her goodbyes she turns back to the door and knocks. This time it's a delicate sound, almost easy to miss.​ I don't do longass posts unless I'm starting something or describing something super important. Here's an example of that, as well: Your people taught you the Apocalypse would not be the End of All Things; it would only the end of now . Mokole have survived devastation before, after all -- even you, in your most restless Dreams, dimly recall the earth-shattering blow of the Wonder-Work that ended the golden Age of the Old Ones. But you were never prepared for what the Dissolver's Apocalypse would actually mean . Your nest brother, small and weak compared to you, was your Apocalypse. Last night the memory of your loss played out yet again as an inescapable Dream: he begged you to save him as Black Spirals dragged him down into the unholy dark where you could not follow. They showed no mercy in their sick, twisted games, and you were there; you cannot forget the horrible knowledge of his final moments. Screams of a boy too young for war echoed through your mind all day. Tonight you are tired and hungry. In the dusky twilight it's only warm, the day's heat dissipating as quickly as the clouds do. (By midnight the temperatures will dip below freezing; thank Gaia for your homid shape, warm-blooded and much more capable of handling the bitter cold. Whatever the Elders thought about the descendants of apes, at least their form is good for something .) Yesterday you emptied the last of the meat from the bulky plastic cooler that acts as your larder. Above you hangs the blood-red sky; behind you loom the broken forms of mountains blackened by the setting sun. Before you stretch rocky, barren hills covered in a thin layer of brush. Wisps of dust swirl on the wind over the desert. Your better judgement tells you a dust storm will arrive in the coming days. You need to hunt.​ I'll want to know more of what you're planning before making any commitments, but I am interested in a more RP-oriented text game. ^^
Sent PM!
Name Carlie Age 35 Time zone and general availability Central Time, evening availability will begin teaching in August and will generally have evenings free.  Experience with dnd Played with friends for about a year before we switched to other TTRPG's, wanted to dip back in.  Writing sample or character sample Anbyn walked briskly through town, noting the palisade exits and insuring she had a path to one if the need arose. Even as a tiefling, her reputation as a hero of the people precedes her as she finds herself easily slipping from one group of villagers to another. Deceptively strong and quick, Anbyn makes her way to the pub, where her contact amongst the underground is supposed to meet her.  Slowly, deliberately, she makes her way into the pub and takes a seat at a table near the back, with her chair positioned with her back to the wall. She would soon know whether or not she was followed.  Hi! I'm Carlie. I'm a 35 year old trans female nerd. Been awhile since I've played any type of Dungeons and Dragons but excited to give it another shot. Really thrive in a role play heavy environment, my creativity seems to be able to translate well and I love the interactions people can have amongst one another. 
Name: Jay Age: 42 TZ and Availability: Central Daylight time. I'm available Wed->Sun evenings, although I'd be hesitant to schedule Fridays. Experience : With D&D, a bit of play here and there but not a lot. The vast majority of my RPG experience is with other systems with a heavier emphasis on the collaborative narrative and fiction. I've been playing TTRPGs for decades. Sample Writing: This is a copy/paste from a campaign teaser that I ran over the winter. This teaser isn't the most visceral of the ones I have on hand but it is appropriately short. Shadows-Over-Greenwater and Old Meekum sit by the fire in quiet reflection, staring into the flames as if searching for their secret answers within. The light flickers and dances about the room and is the only motion until Meekum breaks the silence and raises his glass. “A farewell to Johan, tha’ crotchety arse. May the waters carry ‘im away to a better place and if he complains about that too, then let ‘em drag ‘im down.” They hold their glasses high and bow their heads, holding the pose for a moment before taking a sip. Shadows-Upon-Greenwater continues in her raspy voice, “and to his young dear, Silvia, blessed as she was in spirit but saddled with the impetuousness of youth and all the dangers that accompany it. It was surely not her time, yet the tides wait for no one and the clock strikes all the same. They will be missed. Let us honor their life, their contribution, their passing, and then leave it behind and focus on what precious things we still have.” Again their glasses are held high in the sombre ritual. The dragonkin stands and says, “let’s be off. Her ceremony will be starting shortly and the sooner we’re done with all of this, the better.” They finish their drinks, set them on the table, and make for the door to step out into the salty sea air. Other:  I'm always on the lookout for people who are interested in this hobby for something other than tactical combat. I'm not entirely sold on text-play - I've done it a couple times and found it a useful exercise in description but was overall less improvisional and engaging. Still, I'd be happy to chat or join a one-shot and see where we're at. My bio has a fair bit of info on me and my playstyle.
sent PM