Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

5e sheets mixing skills and abilities.

As a DM I frequently will ask for ability checks on different skills. It's in the PHB and the DMG so it's barely a variant rule. For instance hiding a body might be Stealth(Wis) because your using your ability to understand hiding and light to find the best spot to hide the body and you aren't using your dex but it's more specialized then perception.  The default sheet from roll20 doesn't do this option without building an entire skill for all six attributes for every skill. That's horrible. I consider it unusably bad because of this.  I used the shaped sheet but it's edited by one person and it's good. I have to use a custom class artificer and it has no way to import some things so I assume it's somewhat out of date. I never figured out how to adjust the AC when magic items make it weird. It's fine but sometimes I feel the sheet has some quirks.  What 5e sheets do people recommend?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The Shaped Sheet is generally more powerful, but as you note, it is out of date. I would recommend the official sheet, for the charactermancer and its coordination with official material. If varying the ability score on a skill roll is something you do often, you could make a custom macro. Here is a start I'm travelling, or I would have finished it out, but hopefully you can see the pattern in the skill and attribute query portions: /w gm &{template:npcaction} {{rname=Custom roll for ?{Choose Skill|Acrobatics,Acrobatics|Animal Handling,Animal Handling}}} {{description=[[1d20+ ?{Ability|Strength,@{selected|strength_bonus}[str]|Dexterity,@{selected|dexterity_bonus}[dex]}+?{Proficient|No,0|Yes,@{selected|pb}|Expert,[[@{selected|pb}*2]]}]]}} I have written this as a token action, to make it universal. Save it as a macro, give permission to all characters and click the option to make it a token macro. It will then be a token action button for all players.

Edited 1656341857
Wow that is both fast and pretty neat. I'm saving that now. I'll look at the pieces of that and make a button players can use for the rolls when I ask.  Actually looking at the rolls it's not quite working. It's a starting point to try to figure it ouit but I'm going to bed. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
All it's really doing is asking you to select an ability score and the amount of proficiency bonus to add to the roll. It won't account for advantage, or class abilities that affect minimum rolls. If you were at the table with paper and pencil, you'd eyeball these, anyway.