Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Problem with sightless tokens, and with ctrl+L

Two bugs: After disabling sight for all tokens, to simulate magical darkness, the players could still see all other tokens (and some other things, like a "wall" built using SmartAoE). Here is a player's screenshot: However, if I (GM) selected a token and pressed ctrl+L, it only showed that token and nothing else (that is, as it should be for the player controlling the said token). So, one bug is that it is impossible to hide certain things from the players. The other is that ctrl+L does not actually show what the person controlling the token sees. I've been using roll20 for eight years, and my general impression is that it gets consistently worse as time goes by. It seems as if it had started with awesome devs and has been getting highly unqualified ones since then.

Edited 1659958402
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Check the controlledby properties of those tokens. If all of those tokens (including the SmartAoE control token) are controlled by "All players" then the tokens themselves will still be visible (the "blind" token will always see itself so the player can interact with the token). This has always been the case asfaik. Ctrl-L is best used for checking line-of-sight and not much else, really. The most reliable way is to use a dummy account, though during actual game play this can be somewhat fiddly because if the dummy account is added to all the tokens then it will share all sight, so you'd have to take the time to limit the dummy account permissions to one specific token. Better used during setup imo.  Not really sure why the paths (the red drawing objects) are visible, though. EDIT - the AoE control token is assigned to "all players" and given sight by default. The permissions are for convenience and the sight is due to the Roll20 "feature" (implemented a year or two ago) that sighted tokens are given z-order stacking priority over unsighted tokens. If it didn't have sight, then the control token could be lost behind other tokens. 
Thanks for your reply. Tokens representing PCs are controlled only by the corresponding player. Tokens representing mascots are also controlled only by the corresponding player. This is a problem of the site. Regarding ctrl+L, it used to work extremely well. Then with some update it stopped working some 3-4 years ago, but after several months it was fixed. Then I stopped playing for almost two years and restarted just two months ago. I found that updated dynamic lighting still has the main problem it had at the beginning, as well as some other nasty surprises, like the one described in this post. I also got some nice surprises, like SmartAoE. Speaking of which, and since you replied here, I am almost sure that the control tokens are assigned to only one player in this case, but I will post my macro just in case. Thanks! !smartaoe {{ --title|Wall of Stone --leftsub|15 5 ft. squares, 3'' thick --rightsub|DC 23 Reflex --aoeType|wall --forceIntersection|0 --width|5ft --origin|nearest, face --minGridArea|0.5 --minTokArea|0.5 --fx|burn-charm --dc|23 --saveFormula|<<1d20 + <<0a{Ref}>> + <<0a{CGen_Ref}>>>> --damageFormula1|1 --ignore|SmartAOE_ignore,1 --instant|0 --playerID|L6wcxCfg9emuY3j6MBN --desc|El famoso muro de roca }}
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Ah you know, I was thinking of when there is a sighted token that does not have darkvision and there is no external light source - they will see only the tokens they can control and black everywhere else. When I remove sight completely, they don't even see their token. Of course, I'm still using LDL so there may be differences in how that works with UDL. As far as the SmartAoE script: the script will use the token properties of the default token for the AoEControlToken, which defers to the character sheet properties, which is set to "All Players" by default when the script is installed. 
Ah, ok. Then the token is actually set to all players in my SmartAoE macro. Thanks for the clarification. I am also using LDL, because UDL has the worst of all bugs: It may suddenly stop working, thus revealing the whole map. But yes, you are right: without sight they don't even see their own token. Now I tried it with the help of a player and it works perfectly, as does ctrl+L. I had forgotten this detail since I had not used the feature in two years or more, and during last session ctrl+L showed me the selected token. However, a function that sometimes does not work is generally undesirable, but in this case, as with UDL, it is awful because it spoils everything for everyone. You are always very helpful. Thanks you.