Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Disable snap to grid?

Quinn
Pro
Sheet Author
I'm running a game where the board uses big chunky hexes, each of which can hold multiple tokens. The problem is, every time I drag a character into the map, the game snaps them to the size of a hex, resulting in this: Then I have to resize it by hand, meaning every token is a slightly different size, and the whole thing is just a huge hassle. Is there a way to disable snap to grid on a map? If not, should there be, or is this functionality too niche?
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Holding the alt key while placing the token should force it to maintain its original dimensions... the same button also allows for token movement without grid snapping (but I assume you already know that one based on your token placement in the picture)
Quinn
Pro
Sheet Author
Holding alt while adding the token to the map behaves... inconsistently. If there's no default token set for the character, it works. If there is, it ignores the size the token was when I saved it and scales it to a full hex.
If you right click on the token and then toggle the option labeled "Is Drawing" it disables grid snapping.  This is the best way I've found to deal with this issue, which I know from experience becomes a real pain on maps with larger hex/squares.
Quinn
Pro
Sheet Author
Felix Ashur said: If you right click on the token and then toggle the option labeled "Is Drawing" it disables grid snapping.  This is the best way I've found to deal with this issue, which I know from experience becomes a real pain on maps with larger hex/squares. Aha! Yes, this works perfectly, thank you!
Quinn
Pro
Sheet Author
I'm getting a 404 whenever i try to submit this post. Does it work without images?

Edited 1663334220
Quinn
Pro
Sheet Author
OK, I guess we're doing this without images. In short, it doesn't work. Steps taken: Create a page with no grid Create a 100x100px token on that page Set it as Is Drawing Save it as default token for that character Go to a page with a grid Drag character onto the page Result: The character appears as ENORMOUS, even bigger than a single hex. What's going on here? e: It also seems like Is Drawing makes it impossible to update the status bars on the character, so that's not gonna be viable.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
If you aren't setting up your tokens on a map page with the default grid size, then they tend to not scale correctly when moved to maps with a different grid size/scale.  I show this in the Token Setup Map trick post in the Roll20 tricks thread.  I have not done testing on tokens made that are smaller than a grid unit, but I expect scaling is still an issue if you aren't setting them up on a default grid.  Something else you could try would be to use maps that have a built in grid, and then set the Roll20 map page to have a smaller grid, so that it is nested within the grid of the map image you use.  You can then turn the Roll20 grid transparent, so you get snapping to the smaller grid, while having the visual display of the larger grid on the map. Setting a token/image to "is drawing" does turn off the bars/bubbles.  It is nice to get rid of bars on group tokens sometimes, but it isn't as convenient on tokens where the visual bars/bubbles are useful.
Quinn
Pro
Sheet Author
All right, I found a decent set of janky workaround tech. The new setup: Create a regular 1:1 square grid map Drag characters into that map first Cut from there and paste them into the hexgrid map For characters who are supposed to be bigger than 70x70: Set up token with image at the intended size Set up bars Set Is Drawing = on Save as default token Drag character into the setup map, they'll arrive at intended size Uncheck Is Drawing to enable bars Cut from there and paste into the hexgrid map Between that and alt+drag movement, everything seems to mostly work. Thanks for advice!

Edited 1663352782
DnDPlay20
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Turn off the grid in page settings...no more snap. Edit: the preset measurement distances will still work for the ruler.
Quinn
Pro
Sheet Author
DnDPlay20 said: Turn off the grid in page settings...no more snap. But also no more grid. I do want to be able to see the grid, and this is easier than adding the grid manually to each map.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .