Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Video & Voice Off by default

Edited 1408811226
TL;DR Summary: Voice and video starts on by default in all campaigns There is no popup or indication that this is happening, and it is easy to miss if one is not paying attention or moves to another window. Those unfamiliar with roll20 may not realize it is on Those familiar with roll20 starting a new campaign may forget this happens People are playing from locations where they would normally expect privacy. As a result of the above, people may be playing in compromising situations, such as sitting in their underwear... or anything more obscene, unaware of the possibility of exposure. Even if they turn the settings off, they would still be exposed to anyone watching at the time. TL;DR Conclusion: Voice and Video should be off by default to avoid compromising personal modesty and decency. Text Body: I realize you can change it in the settings, but having video turned on by default means that a camera and microphone are activated automatically when you join a game, assuming you have those peripherals installed. This poses a problem in that, for those unaware of the feature, or looking in another window (and thus not noticing the activation of the camera and/or microphone), privacy is sacrificed. I realize that in many cases, this may not be an issue, but there are a large number of living situations, and as many people are playing from their bedrooms or living rooms where privacy is generally assumed... It would not be unreasonable to expect that someone might start a game sitting on the couch in their underwear, for instance, not expecting those in game to be able to see them. Then, say that same person joined a game early and turned their focus to other tasks, sitting there for thirty minutes to an hour before the game was scheduled to begin, blissfully unaware of the possibility of fellow gamers joining and seeing them displayed in all their majestic glory... If anything, a popup when first loading a game *asking* whether you want your microphone and camera to be on or off *before* actually activating them might be a good idea. Obviously there are far more compromising positions an unaware person might be caught in, and it's easy to forget the settings reset when joining a new game... Edited to say I'm using Google Chrome with ad-block enabled, since someone posted that the pop up happens on some computers. I've never seen or heard it... but a pop up notification like that shouldn't appear as an ad if it comes from within the site's structure and not as a embed or plug-in. If it's just a matter of extending it to Chrome, should be an easy fix that should be implemented ASAP.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
+1
The pop-up happens on a lot of computers, but I still like the idea.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
+1
Bump. This should be an obvious problem with a relatively easy solution.
While we are at it, letting the GM have control of more global settings would also be welcome. Not just Voice and Video, but 3D dice and whatnot.
LOL! I'm imagining all of you as pantless GMs now. *shakes head* *looks left* *looks right* +1 !!!
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
We prefer the term "pants-optional." =D Seriously though, I join a bunch of games to try and help people with their API scripts. It just seems like off is the appropriate default, or at least prompting to see if you want it on. =D
PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
+1 And I also want a button that can make me unsee things.
+1 I agree, I don't use the built in stuff in my games and I tend to play with newer players, it can be painful getting inexperianced players to turn them off.
Gold
Forum Champion
Wardonis said: I tend to play with newer players, it can be painful getting inexperianced players to turn them off. No need to get your new players to do anything to accomplish this. If the GM disables Video & Voice for the campaign, then the players will not have Video/Voice in Roll20 for that campaign.
+1 (to the OP)
+1
Ba-ba-ba-bump...
I just want to draw attention to this again. Easy fix, obvious problem, lots of "+1s" because there's not a whole lot more to do besides implement it. Any chance we can get confirmation this is planned for an update?
+1
Gabriel P.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
+1
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
+1 to sound&video off by default, +1 to GM's turning video/sound broadcast off for a campaign (as long as the GM can override it for him/herself)