Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP] [EST Time] D&D 5e Curse of Strahd text-based - 90% roleplay - noob friendly

Edited 1664845671
Hello everyone! I have been running Curse of Strahd a few times, and it is by far the WotC module I enjoyed the most. I ran a text-based campaign since June, and it was awesome, but the group feel apart because of various reasons - mostly due to schedule issues. So, here I am, wishing to launch a new text-based Curse of Strahd campaign. Playing through text instead of live sessions offers many advantages. A few inconvenients, of course, but here is what I experienced with the first run : PROS It allows for a lot more : - personal PC development - social development between PCs - personal interactions with NPCs - individual decision-making in non-hostile areas - lore digging - downtime activity CONS - combat takes longer, and we cannot do it turn by turn (round by round is the best method) - it is not the same as live sessions in terms of a bonding experience between players (just like online sessions VS physical sessions) - text does not render the person's tone, and it easily leads to misunderstanding - if you aren't active as much as the others, you often may have to read bunches of text to catch up (although it can be solved by doing frequent recaps) Let me warn you, however, that I am a dedicated DM, and that I am looking for players who are also dedicated. I like to have fun just as much as anyone, but I consider the game to be most enjoyable when people are investing themselves into it, and are abiding by the rules. The "rule of cool", for me, is something that does not trample the realism of the game. However, it is something that I still use, especially when the rules are unclear about what happens in an unorthodox situation. As such, I am looking for players who : - are invested in the game, and work toward building an enjoyable story with the group - pay attention to what has been said and done - make their intentions clear - can write decently well (English is not my main language, and I won't tolerate any mockery about anyone's grammar, but a certain level of literacy is required) - let the group know if they cannot be active for a while - are polite and friendly with everyone - do not argue against the DM's ruling (I am open to discussions though, of course) As for what you can expect of me, here are a few things : - I always follow on the players input as soon as I can - I provide each players with as much roleplay as they want - I try to give the game an ambiance with music, voice acting, various pictures, well-fleshed characters, etc. - I treat everyone equally, fairly - I welcome newer players, and I am available to teach them as much as they need - I reward unique and thoughtful roleplay If you would like to apply for the game, please send me a private message with the following : 1. Your experience with D&D 5e 2. What you know about the module Curse of Strahd 3.  A character idea that puts the focus on the personality traits, ideals, bonds, flaws and/or backtory (no need to have it all written, but the race/class is not what interests me... like I said in the post title, this campaign will be 90% roleplay, so now is a good time to make a character that is more socially-oriented than combat-oriented) 4. Your time zone, and an estimate of your amount of availability for playing this (there is no fixed minimum, but if you can just participate 5 minutes a day, and everyone else 30 minutes to 1 hour, it might not be for you) Finally, I'd like the players to avoid going for characters who : -  are evil (you can be a criminal, or someone with questionable morality) - always want to be alone and do things their way - are completely unreasonable (chaotic doesn't mean insane) - have nothing to lose - fly (no Aarakocras) There it is, feel free to ask me any questions you might have in the comments!
Hi when are you looking to run this I fancy trying a text based game? 
As soon as I have enough players. So far one person applied.
hey can I apply
Xa L. said: hey can I apply As I stated in the post... If you would like to apply for the game, please send me a private message with the following : 1. Your experience with D&D 5e 2. What you know about the module Curse of Strahd 3.  A character idea that puts the focus on the personality traits, ideals, bonds, flaws and/or backtory (no need to have it all written, but the race/class is not what interests me... like I said in the post title, this campaign will be 90% roleplay, so now is a good time to make a character that is more socially-oriented than combat-oriented) 4. Your time zone, and an estimate of your amount of availability for playing this (there is no fixed minimum, but if you can just participate 5 minutes a day, and everyone else 30 minutes to 1 hour, it might not be for you)
Do you need to have a lot of dnd experience to apply?