Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Whispering conversation with another player can be entered by another player if they hit Reconnect

When I (The GM) click on the Whisper of the Players avatar, I can talk to him and no one else. That is unless, another player hits Reconnect. That somehow lets him into the whisper conversation to both hear and speak. This needs to be fixed in order for this feature to be secure.
Gauss
Forum Champion
I have never experienced this, could you send me an invite so we could test and confirm this together?
Gauss, Are you part of the Roll20 debug team?

Edited 1667970063
Gauss
Forum Champion
I am a Forum Champion, we are volunteers for Roll20 (formerly called Moderators). Forum Champions are not Roll20 staff.  We do a lot of first-line troubleshooting, helping users, etc. but ultimately we are still users. With that said, we usually have more experience with problems than most other users.  I have been a Moderator/Forum Champion for Roll20 for 10+ years now.  The forums are primarily users helping users, if you would like to reach the Devs instead I suggest filing a bug report via the Help Center .
Gauss, if you have a gaming group (or at least three people), start a whisper conversation with one and tell the other to wait 5 seconds and then hit Reconnect to see if he can join the conversation. This is what happens to our group without fail, meaning always repeatable. I don't use the feature anymore.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Although I can see that it is an exploit (and a bug), is this mostly a trust issue? Similar to someone listening at the door while GM and player go into another room for privacy. I.e., can you overcome the exploit by  just saying "Don't do that; it's not cool."?
That is not the point. It wasn't done by my players on purpose. We found out about it by accident. If you have poor internet, you often need to reconnect or even reload. We occasionally get an audible echo which is resolved by reconnecting. Sometimes it's background static. Reconnecting happens at least twice per session. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Gotcha. Your best bet then, is to use Gauss' suggestion of a  Help Center Request . It might help to include a Console Log ( Chrome ,  Firefox ) from a user who hots reconnect, but with repro steps that clear, it probably isn't necessary. I hope it's something that  can  be fixed (i.e. that whispering does not require an active mute command that can only be given to a connected player). But this is an excellent time to point this out to the dev team, since I believe the whisper function on the upcoming A/V replacement system is still in development. It might be something they can catch before it is "set in stone".