Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Hi please stop fiddling with chat input box size

The chat input box now no longer stretches accordingly when dragging the chat window wider, leaving a postage stamp sized box for people to type their posts in.  This makes any sort of detailed and especially multi-paragraph posting completely impossible.  It is happening in both Firefox and Chrome, to both players and GMs, and seems to have been part of some update that went live earlier today or last night, because just yesterday it wasn't happening. Also, some months ago we lost the ability to drag the chat input box vertically taller.  That would really be nice to have back again.  I don't know what the poor chat input box did to the devs, but the little fella is really getting put down and smashed into the corner lately :(
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi DM R! I can confirm this. The chat box taller was never a really good implementation—if you stretched it taller, it would cover up the bottom of the chat long. But wider is something new. You might want to file a  Help Center Request . I'll do similar.
Gold
Forum Champion
Confirmed / replicated. I agree the expandable chat box size should be restored. Another related new problem is the chat box also doesn't get smaller, if you make a more skinny chat sidebar box, as it naturally is on games that don't have Compendium tab enabled (the {i} button above chat disappears if you don't have a Compendium character sheet).
Confirmed here as well.  Hope that gets fixed soon.
This is a big issue for us as most of our gaming is chat-based and this makes reading over what you just typed a chore, especially on high resolution displays. Please make it stretchable again.
Absolutely NEED this to be fixed. Look, my group is using roll20 to rp every single week for about 8 years now and this new change makes it IMPOSSIBLE to use because we rely heavily on long text inputs, often multi-paragraph ones. I'm one really pissed DM/GM.
Yea, this is pretty unpleasant. It's quite a detriment to the quality of life on the site. 
Agreed. With the chat window being stuck in its size makes reading and checking your text a pain.
Gold
Forum Champion
Help, Please, Roll20. Can we get a Roll20 Team response on this well-documented problem? Does anyone from Roll20 Team Staff even read their own Bugs & Technical Issues forum? If yes, do they just choose to ignore this without any response?
Hey folks, We appreciate the reports, and I've been able to reproduce the issue. This is in front of our development and product teams to take a closer look at where this originated from. Unfortunately, I cannot provide an ETA for a fix just yet, but keep an eye on the change log for when that is released.
It's been over a month and somehow this issue still hasn't been repaired.  I'm shocked it took more than an hour to roll back whatever change was implemented on 11/01 to cause this mess, but could we maybe try that instead of doing nothing for 30+ days? 
DM R. said: It's been over a month and somehow this issue still hasn't been repaired.  I'm shocked it took more than an hour to roll back whatever change was implemented on 11/01 to cause this mess, but could we maybe try that instead of doing nothing for 30+ days?  Agreed, it's pretty unacceptable.

Edited 1670948796
In case you didn't see, there is a temporary fix detailed in  this thread . It's kinda annoying to do it every time you reload the page but that is what I've been doing in the meanwhile. At least keeps r20 usable for me. That said, it's silly that it is taking this long to implement a fix that has already been pointed out and literally takes less than 5 minutes to do. Granted, I don't know what else is going on behind the scenes that might make it more work to fix it permanently instead of temporarily but a month still seems like an excessively long time.
This is still going on?  Our games are text heavy.  Having only the teeny tiny box to type into might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back for my group.  This isn't a complicated issue, and it's an important quality of life issue.  Please fix this.
Sadly yes! This is STILL a thing... elm said: This is still going on?  Our games are text heavy.  Having only the teeny tiny box to type into might just be the straw that breaks the camel's back for my group.  This isn't a complicated issue, and it's an important quality of life issue.  Please fix this.

Edited 1673287958
Bianca
Roll20 Team
This was addressed in last week's release -- please let us know if you continue to experience issues!