Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

What is the "description" property of the ability object?

Hi everyone, I new in mod api and I noticed in this Wiki that the ability object has a property called description. In note it is only written: " The description does not appear in the character sheet interface ". But what does that mean? What is this property? Where can I find it if it's not on the character sheet? What is it for ? Thanks in advance for any response I get.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
It is a text field that was added about 8 years ago, but never actually exposed in the interface.  when it says "Character Sheet Interface", it's talking about the Attributes and Abilities Tab.  That field (and that tab) both predate actual Character Sheets on Roll20, so the old terminology can be confusing sometimes. As far as what it's for, you can safely ignore it.  Since it is accessible by Mod Scripts, you could store additional things there, but it's hard to find a use for it on Abilities.  I could see storing a versioned history of Abilities in JSON format there as part of some specialized Ability Management Script, but it's never really come up.  If that same field existed on other Roll20 Objects, it would be far more useful.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I've used it to store some relationship data for script created abilities when I want users to be able to edit them, but not delete them, so that the script can easily tell if it needs to regenerate an ability.