Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Broken Thumbnail in Page Toolbar and Main Header

I tried looking through the forums for a resolution, but the only posts I found are from 9 years ago with no resolution.  I consistently have the problem in two places: one map in the dropdown page toolbar keeps breaking, and the header image that I upload to display above the game title right before clicking to launch the game (the very first thing you see) As for the map, it seems that roll20 just has a problem with this one particular map I keep making. At first, it worked fine. I had one image on the map layer and it displayed in the thumbnail perfectly fine. After some time, the image broke in the thumbnail but was not broken on the map (we could still see the image and interact with it on the map just fine, but the thumbnail just remained broken). I tried fixing it by removing the image from my library completely, and deleting the map entirely. I made a new map, uploaded the image again, added it to the map - and it worked! ... for about an hour. Then it broke again. Rinse and repeat, the site just seems to really dislike this one map or image (the image is smaller in size than most of the others I use). The crazy part is, every other map works perfectly fine! I'm not sure if its just that the first map in the toolbar will always be broken, or if the image is somehow corrupted no matter what way I upload it.  And no, I'm not at my file limit. For the header image, no matter what image I upload it seems to work fine, then our next session starts a week later and I see its broken again. Its not detrimental to the game or anything, but it is annoying, and I wish I knew how to fix it.  Thank you in advance for the help!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Bread! Hmm... might be a toughie to diagnose. Is that map the largest (dimensions, not file size) image on the map layer? That's the graphic that produces the thumbnail. And for the game image graphic: what is the file format and file size?
keithcurtis said: Hi Bread! Hmm... might be a toughie to diagnose. Is that map the largest (dimensions, not file size) image on the map layer? That's the graphic that produces the thumbnail. And for the game image graphic: what is the file format and file size? Yes, it is! In fact, it's the *only* image on the map layer. Its an overworld map, so all I have is the map image on the map layer, and an icon (map marker that moves around with the party) on the object layer.  The graphic in question: It is a .jpg, size: 1.50 MB (1,579,604 bytes), dimensions: 2048x1152, horiz and vert resolution is only 96dpi. All of my other maps are close to the same file size, dimensions, and dpi with little to no variation (I make them all in inkarnate and export using the same method each time, so this isn't a surprise). I realize that probably makes the diagnosis harder, but hopefully it helped. ^-^'
Any ideas? Still having the same issue. I'm perfectly okay with inviting someone to my game if they want to see it first-hand!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Have you tried opening the original file, and saving a brand new copy? Perhaps the original has some corrupted data. Also, even though the map does not display, can the broken file still be selected as an object on the VTT? If so, you should be able to press the Z key for a preview. It's unlikely this will cause it to display, but if it does give you a broken preview, you can right-click on it to get the url or to open it in a new tab. It's possible the URL could give some info. If you do want to shoot me an invite (via PM, to protect your game) I'll see if I can find out anything. Once I have joined, you will need ot promote me to GM so I can properly investigate.
keithcurtis said: Have you tried opening the original file, and saving a brand new copy? Perhaps the original has some corrupted data. Also, even though the map does not display, can the broken file still be selected as an object on the VTT? If so, you should be able to press the Z key for a preview. It's unlikely this will cause it to display, but if it does give you a broken preview, you can right-click on it to get the url or to open it in a new tab. It's possible the URL could give some info. If you do want to shoot me an invite (via PM, to protect your game) I'll see if I can find out anything. Once I have joined, you will need ot promote me to GM so I can properly investigate. Yes, I even deleted the file and re-exported a brand new image from inkarnate, same result. The file can be modified and interacted with normally in the VTT, even when broken in the thumbnail. I tried clicking the Z key in different spots, but I'm not sure what its supposed to do (or if I'm even doing it right, because nothing is happening). The preview that pops up when I hover over the image on the sidebar is not broken either.  I'll send you an invite soon, thanks a bunch @keithcurtis