Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

NPC Character Sheet: Bonuses from Abilities, Proficiencies, Magic Items, etc.

I am using the standard 5e NPC sheet. I made an NPC who has a 16 strength and a proficiency bonus of +2. I added a longsword as an attack Action. When I click that action, it sends the rolls to hit and damage to the chat, but does not add either his strength or his proficiency bonus to those rolls. How do I manage bonuses for attacks for NPCs?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Waargrin! WotC does not uniformly follow PC building rules and adjustments for NPC statblocks, and they are therefore manually entered.
Gauss
Forum Champion
To add to what Keith said, in the NPC building rules you choose the attack bonus. It doesn't have anything to do with proficiency bonus (PB) or ability score.  The PB will be determined by the CR of the creature, not the hit dice.  Now, many NPC creators will make the attack bonus or ability score reflect the math, but not always. The same goes for damage bonuses, it doesn't always make sense based on ability score bonuses.  So because of this, instead of an auto-calc, you have to input the values manually in the NPC's attack and damage fields.
OK, I think I understand. Thanks