Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Map disappearing

Edited 1668239329
Browser: Chrome. Java script enabled. Chrome Extension active: Google Docs Offline Usage. A the moment I have a problem with my combat maps disappearing if I have another browser window open on top of it for an extended period of time. On picture you will see a lot of tokens, but the "creepy forest road"- map missing. I can make the map come back only by reloading the page, which is a pain since I then have to re-open and detach all the character sheets again.
The image was JPEG.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Simon! I didn't want you to think that no one is listening, but I honestly don't have a clue here, since the map seems to come back after a refresh. Does it disappear  forever if you delete cache? Have you deleted any copies of it from your Art Library? Do you have to refresh the game or  just navigate away from and back to the page with the page menu? You could try capturing a  Console Log ( Chrome , Firefox ) and filing a  Help Center Request .
It comes back after refresh (sorry for not mentioning this), but it's just really troublesome for me to hit refresh, when I've set up all my character windows, etc. I have to open everything back up, which is not undoable of course, but just really bothersome. 
I just checked the size of the JPEG-file: 4 MB. I could make it 1 MB, but that makes the battlemap quite grainy. I have not deleted copies of it from the Art Library. And I have to refresh the page to get it back. I will try to delete cache in the near future, to see if this does something.
I would suggest trying two things - First create a duplicate of the page and delete the old one. If that doesn't work then delete the map from Roll20/your art library and upload it again. I've had this happen with a couple of maps and those steps seemed to have dealt with it when it happened with me.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
A map file that size should not be an issue at all, but for future reference, if you need a larger map, you can slice it into parts and upload the parts. I have large city/town/world maps that are done in 4-8 slices. The fact that it disappears and comes back sounds more like a caching issue or a communications error between your instance and Amazon Web Services (which hosts the image). Are you located in a country that has a "firewall" (ex: China), or using a VPN? Let us know if the cache deletion helps.
This same thing was happening to me a few days ago, but the problem only lasted for about a day.
Thank you all so much for the answers. I will try the cache deletion and duplicate/delete map.
I tested the cache deletion just now. It seems to have made a difference. Tried for a while to zoom in and out, and the map didn't disappear, so yay!  :) Thank you.