Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Linking Character Sheet to Token

Hey everyone! I'm not sure if I'm missing something or if there's a work around for this or not. But I'm trying to link tokens to character sheets that my players can shift double click on so the sheet gets pulled up. The problem I'm running into is, it doesn't seem to work unless they can edit the token and the sheet. Is there somewhere I can put a script on the token to make a hotkey for this so they don't have access to edit the sheet?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Mod (API) scripts *MIGHT* be a solution here, you'd have to ask the Mod (API) folks, I suggest asking in the Mod (API) forum. However, I don't think they could really solve this one at a guess. Is there a reason you want the players to have access to a character sheet but not be able to edit it? Trying to understand the use case. 
Thanks for the info! I'll check out the API forum to see if they can help. I'm trying to make world and reginal maps easier to navigate by adding tokens that can easily bring up a summary and info page. So my players can go to the world map and click on the city for the info instead of digging through there library to find it. The problem I keep running into with it is the tokens keep getting moved and sometimes even deleted by accident. So I would like to allow them to see the page and bring it up from the token but not move the token. Not editing the text is a bonus but we haven't run into any issues their yet.

Edited 1668541980
Gauss
Forum Champion
My suggestion? Where you would put a token drop a bit of text on the map, such as a keyword, for them to type into the Journal tab.  Then make a handout labeled as that keyword.  Alternately, make a master handout with links to the other handouts. You can organize it in a relatively easy to read way.  Finally, you can pop up a handout so players can read it at the appropriate time. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It's a bit of work to set up, but Reporter and Supernotes can work together to do this very thoroughly. This post in the Reporter thread gives detailed instructions and links a video on how it works. This video shows how to use the same setup in an interactive handout, with writeups and images.