Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Compendium Sharing Help

Hi,  First time player on Roll20.net and I'm DM'ing Curse of Strahd.  I've looked over the compendium and I'm sharing my PHB with the PCs, however I'm wondering what value is given to players if I share the COS compendium.  When I joined as a player, I could search named monsters in the compendium. What is to stop a player from looking up a named monster and seeing how many hit points it has or what spells it might cast to get an edge on the monster? Is sharing the compendium for the game necessary or am I doing something wrong?  Any thoughts or advice on this is welcomed.  Thanks!

Edited 1668761509
Gauss
Forum Champion
You can share or not as you prefer. But, regarding players not looking up a named monster, they can look it up without you sharing the book in the compendium if they were so inclined. A player could own the books, or they could google creatures (cause people post things even if they aren't supposed to), etc.  It comes down to the social contract. Ask them not to, for their own enjoyment if nothing else. If people want spoilers, they will find them no matter what you do, unless you do a custom campaign or rewrite the creature, encounter, or adventure.