Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Players unable to see token nameplates

For some time now, my players are not able to see token nameplates, except for the ones they have control over. Nameplate option is checked in token settings. Player permission "See" is checked in token settings. Any idea why this is happening?
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
You are absolutely certain that the correct permissions are set in the little pop up menu accessed through the 3 dot menu? <a href="https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360039674573-Token-Features#token-settings-0-8" rel="nofollow">https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360039674573-Token-Features#token-settings-0-8</a> If you did set that, be sure that you update the default token for the sheet or else that setting is only good for that particular instance of the token and not for any others dragged out later.
Yes, the correct permission in the little pop up menu from the 3 dot menu is set correctly. Player permission "See" is checked in token settings. All tokens set as defaults for character sheets automatically have "See" permission checked as that is also set as the default setting in the game settings. Regardless, token nameplate and sheet relationship is not relevant as players can't see token nameplates of impromptu tokens that I pull from my art library onto the map. I pull the art from my library onto the map as a token, open its settings to give it a nameplate, make sure "Nameplate" option is checked, make sure Player Permission "See" is checked. However, players still can't see this token's nameplate on their screen.

Edited 1668831224
Gauss
Forum Champion
Does your player see any nameplates? If not maybe they turned hover on.&nbsp; If they do see them, could you please drag a new token to the board and screenshot its settings (hover over the name settings please)?

Edited 1668831462
My view: Player view (token "Althea" is controlled by the player):
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hmm, could you have the player do a forced refresh? (Ctrl+R or Cmd+R) Perhaps clear cache?&nbsp; &nbsp;

Edited 1668877264
We tried clearing the cache and forced refresh, but the issue still remains. Players are still unable to see nameplates for tokens they do not control.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Does this happen in all games, or just this one?&nbsp; Wondering if something is off about that particular game somehow.&nbsp; You might try making a full copy of the game (be sure to set your character sheet type) and see if this works correctly in the copy.
Try checking the Edit box for the token in case there is something funky with that.
Ah, while investigating token nameplates in other games, I discovered the problem. Dynamic lighting enabled causes nameplates to disappear, even if the token is within lighted area. If I turn off dynamic lighting on the map, the players are able to view token names again. I turn it back on again, and players still continue to see the nameplates. I think there may be a conflict with default dynamic lighting and nameplate settings on new maps. In my game settings, my default settings are: Token: Player Permission Name "See" checked. Token: Player Permission Name "Edit" checked. Token: Show Nameplate checked. Dynamic Lighting on Explorer Mode on Daylight Mode off Update when Token Drop on Token Vision on (rest of token vision settings off) So on a new map, I place NPC tokens and players place their tokens, and players can only see nameplates on tokens they control, and not on their fellow player tokens or the GM's NPC tokens. When I turn off Dynamic Lighting, and turn it back on, nameplates appear to everyone as expected (hidden when token is in darkness). There might be a bug here, but at least I have a workaround. Thanks everyone here for the help investigating this!
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
That is really odd.&nbsp; I haven't set up any new maps in a while.&nbsp; I'll have to see if I run into this if I create a new map.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This happened to me tonight, but only on my (the GM) end. Some names displayed, some did not. Once I reloaded the game, everything was fixed, but it was weird.