Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Monster Manual/confusion

When I had a free account I had access to a wide variety of monsters, many with variations such as archer, fighter etc. I bought the MM recently and do like the monsters that you can drag, but they are only one flavour? Where are all the monsters that were there previously? Do I have to take a base template and then create another one with the variant I want. The amount of information you get when buying these products is woefully inadequate as I have no idea whether this is a deliberate ploy or something I have mucked up. Colour me unimpressed with the actually company, as they are relying the dedicated content material who do a great job.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Could you cite some examples for me to test?  Note: A way you can access the SRD versions is by disabling your Compendium in a game. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Another thing to be aware of: Compendium drags will not overwrite an existing character in the game. If you already have a character named "Goblin" in the game from the SRD, dragging in a MM goblin will not overwrite the SRD goblin. This is intentional, to prevent a compendium drag from overwriting custom homebrew tweaks. Recent changes have begun listing the source (MM, SRD) to reduce the confusion this problem can sometimes bring, but I am not sure how it reacts with creatures created before the change. As Gauss says, specific cases would allow us to test and find solutions.
A specific case.... no matter what monster I do a search on in the compendium, all I am ever offered is a MM one. It is not a problem with just searching and refining to find a particular monster, it is the fact I cannot get ANY of the SRD ones I previously had access to since buying the damn manual. It may be that I am doing something really dumb, but I have been using roll20 for a couple of years now with different games and no problems! Keith's image would do for me if you took away the beard and put just white hair, so perhaps it is an age thing? ;-) Oh, btw, I have the greatest respect for the work and help you put into Roll20 Keith.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thanks! Let's look at this from a few different tacks, then. 1)  Here is a copy of the SRD. It contains all of the monsters that were legally available to you in Roll20 on an account that has not purchased a compendium source. I've looked through it and cannot find an archer variant of anything (using that as one of the examples from your top post). Maybe you can find a specific instance there. 2) Another way to find out what is available through the SRD that is superseded by the MM is to create a  Dummy Account . This account will not have made any purchases and will allow for drag and drop.   3) A way to compare entries simply (though this will not allow for dropping into the game, just viewing the material is to open any monster by clicking on it's name in your compendium tab. This will open the compendium page for that monster. In the upper right is a selector called "source". You can choose to view the SRD version of the monster there:    In general, the MM counterparts of monsters that were available under the SRD have far more detail and variety, with lore, corrected statblocks, art, tokens and variants. Please let me know what you discover. This is intriguing. And yeah, I hear you on the age thing. :)
Gauss
Forum Champion
Aged GM said: A specific case.... no matter what monster I do a search on in the compendium, all I am ever offered is a MM one. It is not a problem with just searching and refining to find a particular monster, it is the fact I cannot get ANY of the SRD ones I previously had access to since buying the damn manual. It may be that I am doing something really dumb, but I have been using roll20 for a couple of years now with different games and no problems! Keith's image would do for me if you took away the beard and put just white hair, so perhaps it is an age thing? ;-) Oh, btw, I have the greatest respect for the work and help you put into Roll20 Keith. I was hoping for a specific creature I could look up that is in the SRD but not in the MM. :)