Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Generate HP based on another character sheet's attributes - eg Wildfire Spirit

Hi all, I've tried searching for this, but could only find a few posts from about a year ago without any working solutions. I was hoping that something might have been developed since then. I am a GM, trying to set up tokens for my players. One of them is a Wildfire Druid, who has a companion spirit. The HP of that spirit is 5 + 3x Druid Level. I have played around with Attributes. For example, I used this formula in the Wildfire Spirit's HP: @{John|level} I am ignoring the +5 and 3x parts for now, just so I can get the attribute call correct. When I do this, the HP field just has the above text in it, not the value. Another thing we tried is creating a new attribute on the Druid's character sheet called SpiritHP Using formula  @{John|SpiritHP} does the same as before. Just the formula text appears. Other relevant details. PC has a full character sheet. Wildfire Spirit is using an NPC character sheet. Using the standard D&D 5e by Roll20 Character Sheets. Is this something that is possible yet, or is a manual thing. 
Gauss
Forum Champion
Properly built Character Sheets can do this because of arcane magics being used behind the scenes, but for the rest of us, no luck, short of using Mods (API scripts) token bubbles/bars will not resolve an attribute into a number, not without breaking the original formula (depending on the character sheet).  My suggestion, put a number in the attribute, then put a note somewhere to update that attribute whenever they level.  Or dive into the world of API scripts. :)
Darn :( I've just modified the HP in the NPC character sheet for now, and will update manually each level. I don't think getting an attribute value from one character sheet to another is possible at this stage without APIs. Even linking to an attribute that has a number in it doesn't work. I have no idea how to create or use APIs, but might look into it if I get some time. Thanks for the help.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Anthony G. said: Darn :( I've just modified the HP in the NPC character sheet for now, and will update manually each level. I don't think getting an attribute value from one character sheet to another is possible at this stage without APIs. Even linking to an attribute that has a number in it doesn't work. I have no idea how to create or use APIs, but might look into it if I get some time. Thanks for the help. I would head over to the Mod (Api script) forum and ask for advice there. Someone should be able to point you to a method for automagically setting the number. Alas, API scripts are not my strong suit (I barely use them).

Edited 1669121566
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
EDIT  - I used 5*level + 5, as that is what I saw in the official description. You can modify the inline formula however you'd like. This can easily be done using the SpawnDefaultToken mod. The example below assumes that: There is a character sheet for the Wildfire Spirit that has a default token linked to it, and the token artwork is from your personal art library. You are using bar1 for hp, though it's trivial to change that to the bar you use !Spawn {{ --name|Wildfire Spirit --offset|1,0 --bar1|[[5*@{selected|level} + 5]] / [[5*@{selected|level} + 5]] }} This spawns a Spirit token one square to the right of the selected token with the appropriate hp 
Thanks, guys. I'll check out that mod, and possibly head round to the API forum. Manually is probably my best bet for now (just a short game), though for a longer campaign, the additional effort might be worthwhile.