Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

They may be Giants

Guys, I'm hoping I can get some help from those of you who have a better handle on API's (I have only just started using them and am not  a programmer. In my game, my players are about to be able to turn into giants. I would like for them to be able to do this easily, but my understanding of API's just insn't sufficient :(. I have tried to do this using the D&D 5ed wildshape API, but keep running into problems. Could any of you suggest a better way of doing this please? Thanks.

Edited 1669815167
Hi Dave, You could use a token-mod macro and multisided tokens to do it. Assuming Hill Giants, something like:  !token-mod {{  --set currentside#2 scale#3u has_night_vision#off bar3_value#105 bar3_max#105 }} That will set the selected multisided token to the second image, scale it to huge, turn off racial darkvision, and set bar 3 to Hill Giant HP.  You can use this to add the hill giant token image to the player token. Just select the player and target a hill giant token. !token-mod {{ --set imgsrc|+=@{target|token_id} --ids @{selected|token_id} }}  After that the easiest thing to do is give each of them there own copy of hill giant NPC sheet.  Thats more or less how I've done it for my players druid - though rather than giving her an extra sheet she gets a simplified monster sheet whispered to chat, which is modified to use her skills where appropriate - I can share that too if helpful? Happy rolling!
Hi Dave. What sort of problems are you running into with the 5E Wildshape API? I've used this quite a bit with no issues myself. Dave L. said: Guys, I'm hoping I can get some help from those of you who have a better handle on API's (I have only just started using them and am not  a programmer. In my game, my players are about to be able to turn into giants. I would like for them to be able to do this easily, but my understanding of API's just insn't sufficient :(. I have tried to do this using the D&D 5ed wildshape API, but keep running into problems. Could any of you suggest a better way of doing this please? Thanks.
As have I Manny. The API's (including Wildshape) have been SOOO useful. I have 4 characters in the game that I am running. We are just about to start a segment of the game where they can all become giants (Storm King's Thunder, if you know it), so I thought to use the wildshape API to allow this, rather than the players having to worry about two tokens and character sheets each. However, I have only been able to successfully achieve this for one  of the characters. _ONE_ of the characters (who can change into a bat form) I have already used the wildshape for , successfully, but now cannot even modify his shapechanger. The other two I can't even get the API to work on. Every time I try, I keep getting the API's disabled because of an error. It is driving me nuts :O 
I ran a 5E game with a druid using wild shape and a bard using polymorph at the same time and we had no major issues.  As long as you set it all up correctly it should be fine, but I recall it did get upset if you accidentally had for example two tokens with the same name or a wild shape token with no valid art - which is actually highly likely with the Frost Giants if you are getting them from the Compendium. Have you tried updating the Frost Giant token + art as per the Wild Shape instructions? That may well fix your issue. Also, if it's not too much pain, you could try "resetting" the wildshapes (i.e. remove everything you have so far) and creating again from scratch? Failing that, Lawmonger's suggestion should get you there.
Heya Manny, thanks for the response. They are not actually changing into frost giants, just giant versions of themselves. I have tried this on a 'test' game, and managed to get all of the characters except the one I had already created a wildshape for (for a different reason). That doesn't seem to want to appear in the 'select PC' dropdown. Even more  confused now!
Dave L. said: Heya Manny, thanks for the response. They are not actually changing into frost giants, just giant versions of themselves. I have tried this on a 'test' game, and managed to get all of the characters except the one I had already created a wildshape for (for a different reason). That doesn't seem to want to appear in the 'select PC' dropdown. Even more  confused now! Do their stats change in any way due to changing into giant versions of themselves, or just their token size? Token size can be easily changed with TokenMod (example to set to 3x3 grid units): !token-mod --set scale|3u Other stats can be modified using ChatSetAttr (here's an example to adjust 'strength': !setattr {{   --silent   --sel   --replace   --strength|20 }}