Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Crown of the Oathbreaker Map pack issues

Hi, I just purchased the Crown of the Oathbreaker Map Pack, as featured here: <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/gameaddon/16896/crown-of-the-oathbreaker-map-pack-41-maps" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/gameaddon/16896/crown-of-the-oathbreaker-map-pack-41-maps</a> There are quite the variety of maps to use, from small, intimate settings to full blown city maps and everything in between. They are brightly coloured and at first glance well-designed. I'd really like to start using them, only I've discovered that many of the larger maps (for example the royal palace) are exceedingly blurry and fuzzy. If I zoom all the way out the map becomes clear, but too small to be of any use. These are intended to be battlemaps, right down to the 5x5 foot grid squares. Viewing them from that far zoomed out is not useful. Trying to zoom any to any reasonable level renders any detail into a blurry mess that never comes into focus. Is this something that happens to a lot of large marketplace maps? Is there anyway to crisp it up? I don't want have to request a refund but right now, the content is not useable - it confuses the players and causes eye strain and headaches. Any help would be appreciated.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Which specific pages (maps) have issues?&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Savage! Can you post a screen shot demonstrating the blurriness?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You can also try deleting the browser's cache, in case you are dealing with the saved results of a stalled download.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Wait. I remember this module/art pack now. There were problems reported with it 11 or so days ago . Yes, the maps are lower than typical resolution, and have issue loading. I filed a report, and Elderbrain (the publisher) has been made aware. You might want to try contacting them directly:&nbsp; Elderbrain . Their web page has contact info.
Thanks, Keith - I thought we weren't supposed to post screenshots of material unless we were the creators of the content, so I avoided it.&nbsp; Anyway, I appreciate the advice and will definitely reach out to Elderbrain directly. Cheers!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Small screenshots to demonstrate an issue should be well within accepted use.
So I heard back from Elderbrain support... not particularly helpful. This is their response:&nbsp; "As far as we know, the Arcane Tower and the Palace are the only two maps with this issue. These maps were created with too many details and not enough resolution for the book, which only became apparent after the maps were included in the VTT module. There is nothing to be done short of a full redraw. I am sorry for the inconvenience." So I guess it's unfixable? Or they don't want to put in the time/work needed to do so. Either way, I requested my refund. It's a shame, since many of their maps are very nice looking. But it's enough of a problem that I'm requesting a refund. Roll20 may want to consider putting a notice to their marketplace entry; I can't think of any customer that would appreciate being caught unawares by this. Thanks again for all your help, Keith!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I don't have the print edition of the book. It's entirely possible that no originals of sufficient resolution exist, if their intended print size was something like a quarter-page. I can understand not wanting to commission a redraw. It's unlikely to be an issue of time/work, but of money. They would have to commission the cartographer to draw a couple of very large maps. It's also possible the original artist is unavailable. AFAIK, no mid-tier or lower RPG company has staff artists, paid by salary. It's all freelance or contract work. A few years ago, I did a number of maps for a game company. They later contacted me asking if I could send them files more suitable for a VTT. I had to charge them, as the work was not originally contracted for, and the time was not negligible. I don't know Elderbrain's exact situation, but I suspect there are impediments to providing higher resolution. Hopefully, you put your reasons in your refund request. That and your communication with Elderbrain will get a message across.
That's an unfortunate situation all around. Anyway, I did put my reasons in my refund request. I don't want to trash Elderbrain, but the situation as is shouldn't remain. It's unfair to the customer. Maybe repackaging those maps at a slightly discounted price with the blurry ones available for free download (if players are so inclined) is the answer. Who knows.&nbsp; Anyway, again, your responses have been very insightful, Keith. Thanks a bunch.
on my side, usually these big maps take time to fully load in a clear way.&nbsp; sometimes zomming out and back in is enough to sort things up, sometimes it only takes more time to load correctly....&nbsp; i experienced what you're describing with dungeon of the mad mage maps sometimes (as a player or as dm).&nbsp;