Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Hiding Information State by Player Type

Hi, all: Is it possible to create two different player states for the purposes of revealing information to players of different "sides" of a conflict? For example, assume I'm running a game that has good guys, bad guys, and a GM (me). Is it possible for the good guys to see the game map and THE BOMB while the bad guys (and the GM) can see THE BOMB and how many turns remain on the timer? By default, roll20 allows the GM to have his own hidden layer, but it doesn't appear to allow flagging of player types for similar information management. Thanks in advance for any insights you have! Regards, Justin
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
You can definitely separate information in journals and only let some players see certain journals. All players have the same view of the map, but they don't have to be on the SAME map. If you need to reveal only certain information about a token, you could play with having it represent a character and have that character only in certain player's journals. There has been discussion in the mentor board before about running a game where some players are on one map, and others on a different one, and object positions are kept in sync with and API script. I'm not sure this has ever actually been done, but it's been theorized that it could be. Does that help?
Gid
Roll20 Team
Create a character journal for "Good Guys" and another for "Bad Guys" and add the players who belong into each group in the Can Be Edited & Controlled By field. If you want to send information to only one faction, whisper it to the Good/Bad Guys character journal. Every player who has control of that journal will see the whisper. Random tip: This trick can also be used effectively for when you have characters speaking different languages.
Yes, this is definitely along the lines of what I need. I didn't even consider using the journal/ handouts as a solution. I was trying to do it all on the immediately visible map layer. All the players would share the same map. Good-aligned players would see the map as-is, while bad-aligned players could consult their journals for updates as to how long until THE BOMB goes off. Thanks!