Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

JSON Map Import

I have subscribed to Moonlit Maps for their dynamic lighting maps. They have several of their maps for purchase on the marketplace. However, Since I am on the patreon and have access to the JSON is there a way to upload it to roll 20?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
What is the intended target of the JSON? There is at least one map import script.
Moonlit has built their maps to be uploaded to Foundry with the dynamic lighting already drawn in place. Similarly they have assets in the roll 20 marketplace do the same. (I am assuming they would be the same file)  The idea is to import that JSON which would place the map and the dynamic lighting. I am not aware of any scripts other than the UniversalVTT but from what I understand its a different file.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
If you want to PM me a sample, I can look and see if there's an easy mapping.
PM sent! Thanks for taking a look!
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Ok, from initial investigation, I found that the information is available to construct walls and lights and doors.  It will be a bit tedious to extract and put in a format that can be imported, but not impossible.  The basic process would likely be: Manually pull down the zip file for the module from the URL in the module.json Extract all the files Upload each may you want to use from the Maps subfolder onto Roll20 pages, size as desired. Upload the maps.db from the Packs subfolder to a custom web form (ala UniversalVTTImporter) which will parse and extract the desired information providing a compatible JSON output to use with an importer on Roll20. Place the formatted output into the GMNotes on an uploaded map Run a command to do the import. Ideally, I'd have it generate UVTT format so it could just use that importer.  Worst case, you'd create an importer that is specific to that version.  One complication is that the maps.db contains the data for all the maps in a module, but there's not a good way to associate it with a specific graphic, so you'd have to do that in a bit more manual fashion.
Thanks for looking into it! It might be more advantageous for me to redo the lighting myself, but it was still curious enough to know if it was possible.