Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Chat input box finally widens once again, yet Shift+Enter is no more

Thank you for fixing the postage-stamp-sized chat input box issue!  And the Home and End keys actually work once again (boy, I forgot how many months it has been since those stopped functioning...) I'm not entirely sure how it took two full months to do, but the accomplishment came alongside another immediately obvious bug: shift+enter no longer does anything in the chat input box.  In either Firefox or Chrome.  :(  One step forward, one wobbly drunken step to the side that might lead to an amusing topple across the chairs quick someone grab your camera
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Verified and reported.
Yeah, I know that Roll20 barely listens to feedback, but for the love of god, PLEASE get this bug sorted out. Our group is a play by post group, so paragraphs are kinda vital to have.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I am given to understand the problem has been identified and is being worked on.
keithcurtis said: I am given to understand the problem has been identified and is being worked on. It is also strange that this is NOT fixed: There is a very thin black line starting below the chat symbol that is not aligned... the icons itself are neither centered nor left aligned... It seems they put in a padding of some sort... Would be nice if this could also get fixed as it does NOT look that good! Input Box uses the whole width again as it used to be which is good!
TheMarkus1204 said: It is also strange that this is NOT fixed: There is a very thin black line starting below the chat symbol that is not aligned... the icons itself are neither centered nor left aligned... It seems they put in a padding of some sort... Would be nice if this could also get fixed as it does NOT look that good! Input Box uses the whole width again as it used to be which is good! If it helps, that line is invisible in dark mode!
It is not the line itself, it is the padding there... ^^ Previously those symbols were left aligned... DM R. said: TheMarkus1204 said: It is also strange that this is NOT fixed: There is a very thin black line starting below the chat symbol that is not aligned... the icons itself are neither centered nor left aligned... It seems they put in a padding of some sort... Would be nice if this could also get fixed as it does NOT look that good! Input Box uses the whole width again as it used to be which is good! If it helps, that line is invisible in dark mode!
Oh its nice to know its at least on their radar
DM here, also post-by-post, no voice chatting for our games. The inability to do shift+enter to seperate narration and dialogue for characters has been awfully annoying and breaks our immersion!
The Maker said: DM here, also post-by-post, no voice chatting for our games. The inability to do shift+enter to seperate narration and dialogue for characters has been awfully annoying and breaks our immersion! It was also helpful for codes and macros..... Now we got no paragraph breakers...
Extremely frustrating problem, seems to occur in all browsers too.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Strawberry said: Extremely frustrating problem, seems to occur in all browsers too. As stated up-thread, the Devs are aware of the problem and are working on it. 
Does anyone know any alternatives to shift+enter until they fix it? I've tried doing a few various things like pasting in html br into it but none of them seem to work
It does NOT show everything anymore! NICE BUG... Please FIX ASAP!!!

Edited 1673190999
Scroll arrow is missing! AND as said, if there is an output, it does NOT show completely! You need to narrow the Textarea for the scrollbar arrow to appear to be able to scroll down do see the rest... REALLY annoying!
How is this not fixed yet... ?
Sadly it is... Unholy said: How is this not fixed yet... ?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I can give a theory as to what's the delay. Fixing the chat popout issue (which I do know was absolutely not a simple fix) had unintended consequences (loss of soft return). It might have had more consequences (for instance, I have noticed that the chat input now occasionally hides the bottom of the chat display, and that this can be fixed by popping it out and back in.) It could very well be that the first fix revealed a whole subsystem that was unexpectedly impacted, and this must go through a separate QC cycle that takes time to try and make sure that other unexpected things are not affected. I can only say that I have been told that  the problem has been identified and is being actively worked on. I don't have any insight into what that entails or how difficult it is to fix without breaking something else.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
And as of this morning, it looks like Shift-Enter soft returns have been restored. :)
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Confirmed! It's working for me.
Wow!  Thanks for the much much MUCH quicker fix to this problem than the postage stamp sized chat input box!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The input box sizing problem looks to be fixed as well.

Edited 1673992644
Here to throw my complaint on the pile. I often copy/paste text to whisper to players when they succeed knowledge checks etc, so they can describe the creature (or whatever) in their own words. You can't even copy/paste paragraph breaks. It will separate the paragraphs into distinct, separate chat posts. So the first one will be whispered as intended, then the second post in the general chat... pretty annoying. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This has always been the case. To keep line breaks in the same whisper, surround everything with double curly braces: /w Bob {{Hi Bob. You are now a werewolf. Don't tell anyone.}}
Thank you for that tipp. Didn't know that... keithcurtis said: This has always been the case. To keep line breaks in the same whisper, surround everything with double curly braces: /w Bob {{Hi Bob. You are now a werewolf. Don't tell anyone.}}