Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

$100 usd to digitize my homebrew character sheet!

As title says, will pay cash for someone who knows what they are doing to write the code so my sheet can be clicked on and updated and such.  Contact me for more info
Gauss
Forum Champion
Derk F. said: As title says, will pay cash for someone who knows what they are doing to write the code so my sheet can be clicked on and updated and such.  Contact me for more info Just a note, coding character sheets is a process that can take weeks of work. 
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Gauss said: Just a note, coding character sheets is a process that can take weeks of work. Quote Gauss here to underline the point: the money being offered here is a pittance compared to the work likely needed. And the people able and willing (considering the needed time investment and the vagueries of clients over such a long period) to do the work will expect considerably more than minimum wage for it to be worth it to them. The best bet is to pose specific questions that people can answer in the forums, which people will do for free.
GiGs said: Gauss said: Just a note, coding character sheets is a process that can take weeks of work. Quote Gauss here to underline the point: the money being offered here is a pittance compared to the work likely needed. And the people able and willing (considering the needed time investment and the vagueries of clients over such a long period) to do the work will expect considerably more than minimum wage for it to be worth it to them. The best bet is to pose specific questions that people can answer in the forums, which people will do for free. Gauss said: Derk F. said: As title says, will pay cash for someone who knows what they are doing to write the code so my sheet can be clicked on and updated and such.  Contact me for more info Just a note, coding character sheets is a process that can take weeks of work.  What would you two recommend for a wage/bounty? 
Gauss
Forum Champion
I am not a character sheet coder, but based on discussions I've seen I would expect something in the thousands of dollars, depending on the level of work required.  First you have to find someone willing to do it. Then you sit down with them and hammer out what is needed. Finally they give you an expected number of hours required to do the work and the price per hour, or a price for the entire job (which is still based on the size of the job etc).  My suggestion is to lay out exactly what you need in the thread, that gives the coders an idea of the workload required. Some example pieces of information you can provide: Do you need a simple fillable sheet? Do you need numbers auto-calculated? Do you need the sheet to roll dice?  Do you have an image of the sheet to share? How many pages if it were printed out?  What game system? If the system is an existing one or one a homebrew system is related to it may be easier to repurpose an existing sheet.  that is just off the top of my head. 

Edited 1673484988
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It's impossible to suggest a price without a greater understanding of the scale of the work needed. I'd recommend creating a list which describes what you need doing in as much detail as possible (you'll need to do at least that if you get someone interested in the job), so authors can estimate how many hours it would take them to do the job. If you have a picture of what you want the sheet to look like, post that with the list. Then invite people to tell you what they'd charge, and see if your bank balance covers it. (Also consider if it can be broken down into smaller, more affordable blocs of work.) Edit: Gauss has great questions too. I will say simple extremely simple sheets wouldnt cost that much, but you are still looking at several hundred dollars minimum.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Agree with gigs and gauss. The cheapest quote I've ever given was ~$500, but was very barebones with no styling beyond what was absolutely necessary for layout; ~ 10 hrs (aka a long day) of work. The most expensive quote I've ever given was ~15k, but that was for a sheet on the level of the 5e by roll20 sheet with multiple sub sheets and a charactermancer; ~250 hrs (aka a little over 8 weeks) of work.

Edited 1673529667
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I was going to say I'm cheaper than Scott, but then again, I might take more hours so it might balance out.
So here is the sheet. To sum it up quickly: Clickables (things to click and dice roll on roll20): 7 Skillsaves, Attacks, Dodge Alterables (things to click and manually change numbers): Health, Defense, Safeties Compendium (click and drag to character sheet, preferably with auto-upload from a library that alters sheet accordingly to ability and/or shows parameters of ability) (probably the biggest part of it all) And if I offered $1000.oo USD for the work instead. Is this something "Worthwhile" From a jobpoint stand? I really appreciate the feedback so far. Thank you guys.

Edited 1675492948
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Thats a much better price offer and would probably be way too much except for the Compendium. Without knowing how much you need to go in the Compendium it is impossible to estimate. That's a much more realistic offer, and should be enough to start the negotiation with someone. But before anyone can say what amount of work is needed, you need to be able to explain exactly how everything that is needed works, what attributes are needed, etc. Saying, say, 7 Skillsaves, Attacks, Dodge isn't enough - you need to be able to explain exactly which attribute each needs and what happens when the button is clicked. For the compendium, if Roll20 allows it, you also need to list everything that goes in it, and the fields needed (and anyone with the Compendium Curator tag, like Scott, would be able to estimate that way better than me). If you are making a custom sheet available for others to use, the game's rules must be available somehwere (this can be purchasable, but you most be able to show the Roll20 staff how anyone can acquire the rules). Though that level of detail can be conducted privately with anyone who is interested in taking up your offer - you don't need top talk about that on a public forum if you don't want to. You have given enough information here to get the ball rolling, I think. I would be interested, but I have no experience with the Compendium, and don't know what the roll20 Devs need to start the ball rolling there.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I'd probably say that that's a decent price for the sheet you describe with some moderate styling. The compendium is a much bigger can of worms. Compendiums are big and complicated. Just doing the data and getting the sheet to be compendium compatible is probably at least another 10 hours of work + however many hours of data entry your system would require. There's also html and css work to do on the compendium if you want a good one. In short, you're probably looking at bare minimum of the cost of the sheet for the compendium, and probably more but I don't know how big your product is. Compendiums are also something that are done by a team, not a single person usually.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
When I handled the system conversion for Brancalonia (a freelance job--not under Roll20), I had to find a team. One person (me) handled all the art and module creation, another built the character sheet, and a third built the compendium. It took months, and many conference calls to Italy. It's not a project I'd like to repeat, but it was eye-opening in the amount of work involved.
Why does that image have a 'fiverr' watermark?