Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

No upload from dungeon alchemist

Hi hope you can help. I have been using dungeon alchemist to make my dungeons, buildings and maps and up till about a week ago (7/1/23 1st Jan 23) I could upload my creations in to Roll 20, however when I tried to upload from then (7/1/23) on all I get is the uploading box message but nothing happens. I have left this for over 10 minutes but still nothing. I have tried different dungeon alchemist maps but I get the same results. I have even gone back to the Nick Olivo utube how to (which is great) but change. Can anyone please suggest something, I'm half way through a homebrew campaign and I don't want to switch to pen and paper. Thanks
Gauss
Forum Champion
My suggestion, open Dungeon Alchemist maps in another program and resave them. This may change whatever is causing Roll20 to hang up.  An image of a given file type is supposed to be the same but sometimes there are quirks. Another thing, if the image is large (file size) you could try cutting that down. Often people create images to be very high quality but you don't need more than 150 PPI in Roll20. If the image size (space on the screen) is large,  you can chop the image into pieces and upload the pieces. That can help too. 
Thanks for your help, I've tried it and it sort of works. I copy the jpg file to my desk top and then copy it to roll 20 and it works, means I'm not getting the light option line of sight etc but I can add by hand in roll 20. So it works just takes time to sort. Again thanks for your help. ColinG
Gauss
Forum Champion
Colin G. said: Thanks for your help, I've tried it and it sort of works. I copy the jpg file to my desk top and then copy it to roll 20 and it works, means I'm not getting the light option line of sight etc but I can add by hand in roll 20. So it works just takes time to sort. Again thanks for your help. ColinG Could you elaborate what you mean by not getting the "light option line of sight etc"? 
When this happens to me the solution is usually to remove the API and add it back in. Keep in mind that the new update scheduled for the 31st will also be changing how the lighting works to include the new doors and windows, so things might be a little screwy right now if something in the script has already changed. If the upload is taking too long, you can also put it through a compressor and still use the generated txt file information to set the lighting data. Colin G. said: Thanks for your help, I've tried it and it sort of works. I copy the jpg file to my desk top and then copy it to roll 20 and it works, means I'm not getting the light option line of sight etc but I can add by hand in roll 20. So it works just takes time to sort. Again thanks for your help. ColinG
Gauss said: Colin G. said: Thanks for your help, I've tried it and it sort of works. I copy the jpg file to my desk top and then copy it to roll 20 and it works, means I'm not getting the light option line of sight etc but I can add by hand in roll 20. So it works just takes time to sort. Again thanks for your help. ColinG Could you elaborate what you mean by not getting the "light option line of sight etc"?  Dungeon Alchemist is a software for map making which generates both a jpg image you upload into Roll20 and a text file you copy and paste into the chat. The text file uses the DA script to automatically size the map and set any lighting, line of sight, and so forth.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Resaving the image should not affect the text file or script unless the image is containing data which doesn't normally belong, in which case that would be why it isn't uploading. 

Edited 1674160823
Gauss said: Resaving the image should not affect the text file or script unless the image is containing data which doesn't normally belong, in which case that would be why it isn't uploading.  It shouldn't unless the image is being resized/altered. I do think it might be that either the script has been updated and is conflicted since the data in the exports will be changing in the next update or that it's the usual bug and the OP needs to remove the script and add it back in. The API can be rather temperamental sometimes unfortunately and, if memory serves, there were similar issues when they were nearing their last update as well.
Thanks to both Gauss & Just a Little Mad, I got Dungeon Alchemist for a number of reasons one of which was its ability to set "Dynamic Lighting" and it is this function that seems to be missing. When I create a map in da (dungeon alchemist) and export it through the sport process as a roll 20, it creates 3 files, a jpg, a text, and a dom file. I then copy the Dom file directly into my roll 20 game ,onto a new page, and it hangs on the upload box. What I have found that works ( thanks to Gauss) is that if I copy the jpg file to my desktop and then copy it to my roll 20 game, new page, it loads. But it only load the image.  I have not tried to add the text file ( will give that a try ) but I have manually gone in on roll 20 and added dynamic lighting wall by wall. I must say that before Christmas ( I took a break over Christmas to visit relatives) I was able to copy the dom  file successfully and add the text file to the chat box. I hope this is a help to understand my problem. Do you believe that I should delete the dg importer script and then try to add it and see what happens. I will give this a try. Thanks for your feed back  ColinG
Okay so I see the problem now! You don't use the dam file for Roll20, that's just to open the map in DA itself. You want to upload the image file. Then you copy and paste the data into the chat box. Give that a shot and if you're still having problems then try and remove the API and add it back in, but I think the attempt at using the dam file is what's causing you the trouble.  Colin G. said: Thanks to both Gauss & Just a Little Mad, I got Dungeon Alchemist for a number of reasons one of which was its ability to set "Dynamic Lighting" and it is this function that seems to be missing. When I create a map in da (dungeon alchemist) and export it through the sport process as a roll 20, it creates 3 files, a jpg, a text, and a dom file. I then copy the Dom file directly into my roll 20 game ,onto a new page, and it hangs on the upload box. What I have found that works ( thanks to Gauss) is that if I copy the jpg file to my desktop and then copy it to my roll 20 game, new page, it loads. But it only load the image.  I have not tried to add the text file ( will give that a try ) but I have manually gone in on roll 20 and added dynamic lighting wall by wall. I must say that before Christmas ( I took a break over Christmas to visit relatives) I was able to copy the dom  file successfully and add the text file to the chat box. I hope this is a help to understand my problem. Do you believe that I should delete the dg importer script and then try to add it and see what happens. I will give this a try. Thanks for your feed back  ColinG
Hi Just a bit Mad You hit the nail on the head I've been using the wrong file.  I feel i bit like I've wasted your time sorry but its good to know that here are people out there willing to help. Again many thanks ColinG

Edited 1677057177
Ivo
Pro
I'm experiencing this exact problem still, im using the jpg file, and it wont load. I create a simply image in GIMP, and it loads fine, so something is wrong with the jpg export from Dungeon Alchemist. Ive tried loading it into gimp and saving as a different file format, then opening that, and saving that as a jpg. It kinda works, but the resolution within Roll20 never reaches the actual file resolution, its like its stretching a thumbnail Can someone try and upload the file, could be just my system.... file created in Dungeon Alchemist, i can provide a link Further tinkering, if i drag the image from the uploaded section onto the map layer, it simply NEVER loads, I can wait forever. If i double click the image in the upload area that then opens the thumbnails of all of the images, and drag it from there, it loads, but only as a thumbnail.... EDIT See this thread&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11325877/running-like-a-dog-lately/?pageforid=11333466#post-11333466" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/11325877/running-like-a-dog-lately/?pageforid=11333466#post-11333466</a>, &nbsp;its a Windows Defender issue for me
it was that i was not useing the jpg file that was causing all my problems. as soon as i switched to use the jpg i have had no probs. maybe you could delete the dungeon alchemist macro from your game and then load it in again see if that helps? colin G