Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Request for Curtains - Dynamic Windows

I'm a Plus user and just started playing around with the fantastic Doors and Windows upgrade that was released to us yesterday and would like to request that 'curtains' be a thing that windows could have. It may or may not be reasonable, but currently be default a windows will always allow players to see through it from either direction. Currently they can only be locked or unlocked, opened or closed. I thought about just slapping a door into the space to simulate the curtains, but the door icon would overlap the window icon and would probably create some confusion or difficulties. Curtains may be a big ask, especially considering that they should probably only be accessible from one side of the window... but it's not that unreasonable.. is it? I dunno, it's just a thought. Overall I think the doors and windows feature is a pretty great success, and I especially love the Shift+Click mechanic to snap them to the nearest intersections of the grid. Very nice!
Stephen C.
Pro
Sheet Author
Best solution for this is probably the one-way dynamic lighting that you draw, but the ability for a window to have changed opacity would be handy. +1
At this time, the practical application of drawing another line which occupies the same space as a door or window causes an issue regarding it's front-to-back placement as objects/drawings/etc.. Even if you right-click and make the one-way/transparent/wall line as the front-most object on top of everything else, doors and windows still sit above that so you still wouldn't be able to access the line without moving the door/window. Also, a one-way line would just restrict sight from one direction but not both directions, so if a player went through and decided to close the window/curtains before their friends could follow, they'd quickly see through that method of vision restriction, and so I think a dynamic wall line should be the one used (if any) in combination with a dynamic window to simulate curtains at this time. Practically speaking, if we drew a wall line to block visibility and changed it to transparency later, we could simulate having had curtains there which were opened by the players. The transparency effect lets them see through while not allowing them to move, which is good. But as soon as you try doing this with the Dynamic Window - as they work today - then you have to move the window (or a corner of the window) out of the way to delete/move the transparency line if any of the players want to open that window and climb through it. I've found that even just a small movement from one corner of the window's drawn line is enough to click onto the transparency/one-way/wall line, and then from there I can move it out of the way and use SHIFT+CLICK on the same dynamic window line-edge to snap it back to the grid (the closest intersection on the grid)... but I think it'd be much cleaner to just have this all wrapped up into the Dynamic Windows functionality by simply having a Curtains feature.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .