Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[5E] Automatically drag and add all monsters from the Monster Manual into the campaign

Wanted to see if this was possible. In a 5E campaign, I know you can drag and drop monsters from the monster manual into your campaign and it'll create an entry, statblock, etc. I was wondering if it's possible to have every single monster in the MM, VG, MTOF, (and even campaigns you own if you filter by "Monsters") etc. dragged into the campaign automatically? I don't want to manually drag each one one by one, as that would take forever. I know this would degrade the experience of the campaign, but I want to just have one place where it all sits so I can use the campaign as a bestiary using the  Transmogrifier.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I think you will end up needing to drag them all one by one, even if you have filtered them.  For one thing, I expect the system would probably not be able to simultaneously create and build the sheets for all monsters at once.

Edited 1675149877
Gauss
Forum Champion
AuraofMana, Just checking, are you dragging multiple instances of a monster from the Compendium? Example: are you dragging 5 trolls from the Compendium?  If so, you don't need to do that, once you drag them the first time they are in your campaign on your journal tab.  And if you need multiples of the same creature, you can copy and then paste a token multiple times.  (Note: just making sure you aren't having an issue with the above, if it is just the first instance of any creature then you will have to drag them one by one as you have discovered.)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
AFAIK, the Mod script system does not have access to the compendium in that manner, as dragging and dropping is part of the UI. Even if it did, there would almost certainly be transcription errors, due to what Kraynic describes. Stepping back from the question however, and addressing the need: Why is the Transmogrifier desirable over dragging from the Compendium? What would be superior about this method? Also, (just because your profile doesn't indicate it), is there a way that you will have access to the Transmogrifier at the Free level?
@Gauss No, I am just dragging everyone into the campaign. I know you can just copy whatever token you have to have multiple once you have dragged them in once. @keithcurtis >  Stepping back from the question however, and addressing the need: Why is the Transmogrifier desirable over dragging from the Compendium? What would be superior about this method? Also, (just because your profile doesn't indicate it), is there a way that you will have access to the Transmogrifier at the Free level? I wanted to make a token map similar to how official campaigns have them, and carry that with me world by world. I find myself using a lot of different monsters each time and it's just less time consuming to have them all ready to go instead of digging through and dragging them one by one. As for Transmogrifier. Yea, I've used it before when I had pro. Planning to resub but campaign is currently on a month break until a player is back from their trip. Haven't used Roll20 in a while since I've been playing offline / in person but we're deciding to go online again.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
You can't use the transmogrifier, but you can still copy games at the free level.  Basically, you would want to build a base game and copy that game any time you start something new.  The base game would never be used for play.  If you use modules, you would need to create a base game for each module with any extra monsters you are likely to use. I don't know if there are any performance issues with doing this in an existing game or not.  Before the "lazy loading" update, you certainly wouldn't want the entire bestiary worth of sheets in your game.  It might be fine to do it now.  Worth a try.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'm not sure a token map approach would work well. Unless you made a lot of sub pages. Trying to drag an entire page of every possible monster would almost certainly time out and break. And with the transmogrifier, you would still need to TM every monster individually. Dragging the page over would not TM the sheets.

Edited 1675248139
Gauss
Forum Champion
Based on what you have written creating a 'seed campaign' and then copying it will work, assuming you are not using modules (although add-ons will work). That way you only need to do the work once.  Personally, I just drag critters as I need them, or set them up in advance of the session. It doesn't take much time. 
I see, thanks everyone. Maybe it's better to stick with drag and drop. The issue I have with drag and drop is that half of the time, it doesn't work and gives me a blank sheet, which only gives me tokens and no stats. I figured it would just be faster this way where I make sure each drag and drop works, then just use and copy whichever token I need as I need them, especially when I need a monster at a moment's notice.

Edited 1675284672
Gauss
Forum Champion
The problem of drag and drop not working half the time should not be happening.  Which browser are you using? Is the browser up to date?  Are you using any extensions? Have you tried to disable them?  Does this happen with specific entries or any? Which character sheet are you using? (Confirming that it is the 5e by Roll20 sheet)
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Bear in mind, this might add a lot of lag to the campaign which isn't really mean tto have that many characters in it at the same time. This is why some people maintain a second library campaign full of the characters and monsters they use from time to time, and use the vault or Transmogrifir (a pro feature) to switch them intp a campaign as needed.
@Gauss Chrome, latest update (just checked). Don't really have any Roll20 extensions. This seems to happen randomly and it doesn't matter the source. I am indeed using the 5e by Roll20 character sheet.
Gauss
Forum Champion
@AuraofMana Extensions are browser extensions, there are no "Roll20 extensions" by Roll20.  Extensions on your browser can interfere with Roll20.  Are you running any extensions? Could you supply screenshots when it happens? We might be able to figure out what is going on.