Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Need help to create a Macro that check success in 2d6 over 8 or more.

I want to make a macro that tells me if a roll of 2d6 adding a modifier and if the result is 8+ (depending of the difficulty level) the roll was successful, but if it is a natural 2 (1+1) it is automatically a failure. The level of success must be done 8+ if it is routine check, 10+ if it is difficult check, 12+ very difficult check and 14+ is a formidable check to be successful in the task.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Unfortunately roll20's success checking only works on a per-die basis. You can't check if multiple dice achieve a difficulty. The only way (without a Pro subscription) to do this would be to create a different rollable table for each difficulty, multpled by extra tables for each possible modifier (because Roll20's terrible implementation of rollable tables doesn't work with modifiers). That's not really a solution, sorry. The only manageable thing you can do is have the number printed out in chat, and then say whether it;s a success or failure. So you could print the target number with the roll. Here's a query that lets someone pick the difficulty and it'll print out the target. ?{Difficulty|Routine,8+|Difficult,10+|Very Difficult,12+|Formidable,14+}
That’s not the only way.  The macro system is very robust if you can think outside the box. I had the same problem with writing a morale check macro for my AD&D 2e game. The only difference here is it’s a 2d6 roll instead of a 2d10 roll for morale. It should look something like this: [[1d6>[[(8-1d6-?{Modifier?|+0}*1)*1]]]]
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Can you break down that roll so we can use it for other purposes, how dows it work to get 2d6 > 8 ?

Edited 1675463651
Gauss
Forum Champion
Gigs, you can do success/failure for multiple dice as one roll via: {2d6,0d1}>8 It will check the 2d6 as a complete roll rather than each d6 individually.  Luis, I suggest the following macro: (rename the names of things as desired) &{template:default} {{name=Test Attack}} {{Success?=[[1t[[[{[[[[2d6]]+?{modifier}]],0}>?{difficulty}]]SuccessFail]]]}} {{Roll with modifiers=$[[1]]}} {{Snake eyes check=$[[0]]}} Then make two Rollable tables.  First table name: "1SuccessFail" (without quotes) Second table name: "0SuccessFail" (without quotes) First table make a single entry: label it "Success" (without quotes) Second table make a single entry: label it "Failure" (without quotes) The above macro will make a success/failure check and display that. Then it will tell you the Roll with modifiers so you can determine the degree of success. Degrees of success cannot be automated with a rolled macro very easily, if at all.  Then it will tell you the Roll without modifiers so you can easily see if it was a 1+1. 

Edited 1675847705
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Thank you Gauss, I should have remembered the (2d6,0d1} method (especially since I've suggested it on the forums before, and the inverse, rolling under a target which adds a little complication). Good suggestion on the tables if needed.