Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Lightning bolt keeps reverting from attack to spell card on multiple character sheets

Edited 1675388810
JDKII
Plus
A few players in my Game have had this bug repeatedly, even after I've changed the option to be attack instead of spell card. It will last a while and then reverts, maybe when roll20 is updated. Specifically the OUTPUT option keeps changing by itself from attack back to spell card. And on one character, when I change back from Spell Card to Attack, the attack is added to the Core sheet list of attacks with no DC, dice, etc. - a blank attack. If I delete and readd the spell to the sheet, the default is Spell Card instead of Attack.&nbsp; When I change this value, the attack is added as "blank" per above. And I cannot get higher level adds to work - even though I input this, it always rolls at default 3rd level. this bug&nbsp; has been around for some months/years, and was previously reported in topics such as: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6844341/slug%7D" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6844341/slug%7D</a> <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6524675/wotc-players-handbook-bug-reporting-thread/?pageforid=6553144#post-6553144" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6524675/wotc-players-handbook-bug-reporting-thread/?pageforid=6553144#post-6553144</a> thanks
Gauss
Forum Champion
Which character sheet are you using?
DND5E - I should've stated that. One's a 13th level elven wizard, the other's a 13th level dragonborn sorcerer, each controlled by a different player.
Gauss
Forum Champion
DND 5e is the game system, which character sheet? If you don't know the name a screenshot of the sheet will help us identify the character sheet being used.&nbsp;
Best is to remove the spell from Spell-Tab AND Core-Tab (since you marked it as an attack it appears there as well) and to put it in again (or - if possible - drag it from the compendium into the sheet)... Otherwise you have to take a look at both Core AND Spell Tab, because if you change things afterwards, those are NOT synced between the tabs! JDKII said: A few players in my Game have had this bug repeatedly, even after I've changed the option to be attack instead of spell card. It will last a while and then reverts, maybe when roll20 is updated. Specifically the OUTPUT option keeps changing by itself from attack back to spell card. And on one character, when I change back from Spell Card to Attack, the attack is added to the Core sheet list of attacks with no DC, dice, etc. - a blank attack. If I delete and readd the spell to the sheet, the default is Spell Card instead of Attack.&nbsp; When I change this value, the attack is added as "blank" per above. And I cannot get higher level adds to work - even though I input this, it always rolls at default 3rd level. this bug&nbsp; has been around for some months/years, and was previously reported in topics such as: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6844341/slug%7D" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6844341/slug%7D</a> <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6524675/wotc-players-handbook-bug-reporting-thread/?pageforid=6553144#post-6553144" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6524675/wotc-players-handbook-bug-reporting-thread/?pageforid=6553144#post-6553144</a> thanks

Edited 1675454455
JDKII
Plus
Character sheet: If you mean type, it's PC.&nbsp; If you mean version, it's 4.21.&nbsp; If you mean something else, where do I find that? (I don't find a field labeled "Character Sheet") I'll enclose a print screen as the next reply, thanks! for the suggestion "remove the spell from Spell-Tab AND Core-Tab ... and to put it in again...drag it from the compendium into the sheet)..." this generated the following problems: - did not generate an attack - default Output = SPELLCARD - when changed Output = ATTACK , a blank attack was generated with no dice etc. so buggy....
If you remove the spell from the sheet, it should also be removed from the Core Tab... After that, if you have access to the compendium, drag the spell onto the sheet. This is all you need to do as it is set up completely for you. IF you put it in manually, be sure to ONLY edit the spell on the "SPELLS" Tab. If you select that it is an attack, it will also be added to the CORE Tab automatically. And for the output: you can set it that it outputs the spellcard when rolling the spell (helpful if only a DC is necessary)... Do NOT edit the spell afterwards in the CORE tab... JDKII said: Character sheet: If you mean type, it's PC.&nbsp; If you mean version, it's 4.21.&nbsp; If you mean something else, where do I find that? (I don't find a field labeled "Character Sheet") I'll enclose a print screen as the next reply, thanks! for the suggestion "remove the spell from Spell-Tab AND Core-Tab ... and to put it in again...drag it from the compendium into the sheet)..." this generated the following problems: - did not generate an attack - default Output = SPELLCARD - when changed Output = ATTACK , a blank attack was generated with no dice etc. so buggy....

Edited 1675464721
Gauss
Forum Champion
JDKII said: Character sheet: If you mean type, it's PC.&nbsp; If you mean version, it's 4.21.&nbsp; If you mean something else, where do I find that? (I don't find a field labeled "Character Sheet") I'll enclose a print screen as the next reply, thanks! for the suggestion "remove the spell from Spell-Tab AND Core-Tab ... and to put it in again...drag it from the compendium into the sheet)..." this generated the following problems: - did not generate an attack - default Output = SPELLCARD - when changed Output = ATTACK , a blank attack was generated with no dice etc. so buggy.... You answered the question with the screenshot: 5e by Roll20 is the name of the character sheet.&nbsp; I agree with TheMarkus1204, the solution here is to remove the spell and associated attack, re-add the spell and it should correctly repopulate the attack.&nbsp; Also, very important here: Do not make major changes to your character sheet when it is popped out. Popped out sheets do not like major changes.&nbsp;
Same problem persists: Followed the latest advice and still have the same problem: (I used the sheet not popped out per suggestion) Steps I followed: - removed Lightning bolt from spells. (this also removed it from Core Sheet: attacks list) - readded to spells sheet by dragging in from compendium.&nbsp; The Output default was SPELLCARD (wrong).&nbsp; No Core sheet attack added (wrong) - changed Output to ATTACK, defaulted to no dice damage etc. and it&nbsp; added to Core: Lightning bolt with no dice etc.&nbsp; (wrong) - higher level not working (despite me setting manually) - when I click on the spell to cast from Spells (unlike some other spells with Higher Level casting such as Sleep), it does not prompt me for Level, but instead rolls automatically assuming 3rd level cast&nbsp; (this has been a problem too, I may not have mentioned earlier) - duration: this problem started for me some months ago.&nbsp; (maybe longer based others reports' above)&nbsp; I can manually fix everything except higher level and it lasts for some weeks/months, then reverts to SPELLCARD etc. - reproduced in different game with different character in which I'm a player and not a dm: did on existing character, same problem (so it's not related just to my game or character or dm SETTING etc.) - related spells: Color Spray has same issues as Lightning Bolt. Sleep works fine Magic Missile starts as Output: ATTACK but higher level never works even when manually set Conclusions so far : It is not related to one game, character or spell.&nbsp; There are some spells with the same buggy behavior across multiple games , and some other spells work fine. Does it work for you? What are the next steps? thanks! p.s. appreciate the tip about popped out, wasn't aware of that! I made sure not popped out for all above.
Gauss
Forum Champion
JDKII said: Same problem persists: Followed the latest advice and still have the same problem: (I used the sheet not popped out per suggestion) Steps I followed: - removed Lightning bolt from spells. (this also removed it from Core Sheet: attacks list) - readded to spells sheet by dragging in from compendium.&nbsp; The Output default was SPELLCARD (wrong).&nbsp; No Core sheet attack added (wrong) - changed Output to ATTACK, defaulted to no dice damage etc. and it&nbsp; added to Core: Lightning bolt with no dice etc.&nbsp; (wrong) - higher level not working (despite me setting manually) - when I click on the spell to cast from Spells (unlike some other spells with Higher Level casting such as Sleep), it does not prompt me for Level, but instead rolls automatically assuming 3rd level cast&nbsp; (this has been a problem too, I may not have mentioned earlier) - duration: this problem started for me some months ago.&nbsp; (maybe longer based others reports' above)&nbsp; I can manually fix everything except higher level and it lasts for some weeks/months, then reverts to SPELLCARD etc. - reproduced in different game with different character in which I'm a player and not a dm: did on existing character, same problem (so it's not related just to my game or character or dm SETTING etc.) - related spells: Color Spray has same issues as Lightning Bolt. Sleep works fine Magic Missile starts as Output: ATTACK but higher level never works even when manually set Conclusions so far : It is not related to one game, character or spell.&nbsp; There are some spells with the same buggy behavior across multiple games , and some other spells work fine. Does it work for you? What are the next steps? thanks! p.s. appreciate the tip about popped out, wasn't aware of that! I made sure not popped out for all above. I found the problem, you are using the SRD aren't you?&nbsp; SRD spells are very basic. In the case of Lightning Bolt if you want the attack to be set up you need to set them up yourself.&nbsp; Regarding the level increase etc, are you trying to add that on the attack or on the spell?&nbsp; Please show the spell damage settings (not attack settings).&nbsp; Reversion to spellcard is a bug some other folks are seeing, the Devs have been made aware of it.&nbsp;
SRD - not sure if I am or how to tell, but I am dragging the Lightning Bolt in from the Compendium titled " D&amp;D 5th Edition"&nbsp; (which I guess is SRD?) Is there a NON SRD version of Lightning Bolt etc. I can access that works as desired? I suppose maybe this is buying a roll20 PHB etc? Level increase: I think I found the issue - there is a gray 1 default value, which you actually have to replace by typing another 1 (which shows in darker gray/black) . The distinction is not intuitive - feature enhancement? Printscreen - is there a known bug/planned enhancement to allow print screens to be pasted directly into a roll20 thread such as this?&nbsp; When I do, sometimes I get a roll20 error, sometimes the message does not show up in the thread as if it was never posted. Reversion : glad to get acknowledgement that this is a bug, and confirmation of awareness&nbsp; = is there a thread I can follow for status etc? Appreciate your persistence on helping me with this - I can do a lot more than before now (now I know that SRD doesn't have all the features I expected for with my paid subscription and I'll have to do some repeated manual work, and it's good to know the&nbsp; reversion issue has awareness etc.)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Spells - First I've heard of SRD spells not properly populating the attack section, but a quick test verifies this is the case. Good to know. Images in the forums. Images can be inserted into a forum post by drag and drop, using the Picture button in the editing bar, copying and pasting from an online source. For reasons I've never had explained, the one thing you cannot do is copy from your hard drive (or from an open file on your hard drive) and paste into the post. I've always figured there was some sort of metadata missing that the other methods account for. Gray default value. Yup, it's always been that way, but it rarely receives a complaint, which is likely why it has never been addressed. It's just one of those things you discover and then get used to.&nbsp; The intent is to show you sample data, but if you are not used to the normal appearance of an input it can be misleading.&nbsp; You can file a suggestion if you think it's a matter that needs addressing. I'll upvote it if you do, since I also think it could stand to be more obvious.&nbsp; Reversion: I'm not sure. I know I've seen it mentioned recently, and of it being reported.
Gauss
Forum Champion
JDKII said: SRD - not sure if I am or how to tell, but I am dragging the Lightning Bolt in from the Compendium titled " D&amp;D 5th Edition"&nbsp; (which I guess is SRD?) Is there a NON SRD version of Lightning Bolt etc. I can access that works as desired? I suppose maybe this is buying a roll20 PHB etc? Level increase: I think I found the issue - there is a gray 1 default value, which you actually have to replace by typing another 1 (which shows in darker gray/black) . The distinction is not intuitive - feature enhancement? Printscreen - is there a known bug/planned enhancement to allow print screens to be pasted directly into a roll20 thread such as this?&nbsp; When I do, sometimes I get a roll20 error, sometimes the message does not show up in the thread as if it was never posted. Reversion : glad to get acknowledgement that this is a bug, and confirmation of awareness&nbsp; = is there a thread I can follow for status etc? Appreciate your persistence on helping me with this - I can do a lot more than before now (now I know that SRD doesn't have all the features I expected for with my paid subscription and I'll have to do some repeated manual work, and it's good to know the&nbsp; reversion issue has awareness etc.) To the far right of every item in the Compendium is a thing that says something like "SRD" or "PHB". That tells you the source of the item.&nbsp; Yes, the PHB has Lightning Bolt that works "correctly". Strictly speaking I don't think the SRD Lightning Bolt is working incorrectly, it is just not as automatic as the PHB version, which is probably because it is free. It may even be a licensing issue. Roll20 might not be allowed to automate it beyond showing the spellcard. (Guessing on my part.) As Keith stated, the greyed out numbering is sample text, pretty common practice for Roll20.&nbsp; Printscreens being pasted, for me, works just fine. I hit Print Screen, then Ctrl+V in this window and it puts the image into the window.&nbsp; It may depend on what your OS or screen grabber program is doing with print screen.&nbsp; Regarding the reversion: no thread at this time, there have been several reports of it, and the Devs have been made aware. I suggest filing another bug report via the Help Center . Maybe that will add weight and priority to the issue.&nbsp; As for Roll20 having status updates on bugs, unless they need more information or solve the issue and report it as solved, information is usually one direction, to the Devs.
Understood, thanks again all!