Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

D&D 5E by Roll20: advantage and disadvantage cancellation

Edited 1675460837
I tried to search for an answer to my question, but couldn't find anything helpful. So I hope to get help this way. One of my players wants to play an Artificer. Character creation gives him a scale mail (disadvantage on stealth checks). For the Artificer subclass he decided for Armorer and starts with the Armor Model  Infiltrator  (advantage on stealth checks). So when the scale mail is checked on for being equipped he gets the disadvantage on his rolls like expected, but it should get cancelled out because of the Armor Model. When I searched for an answer how to give his stealth checks permanent advantage in hope this would solve my problem, I found an old post on reddit which said this: " If you currently have the sheet 'Roll Queries' set to 'Query Advantage' , it will look something like this: @{wtype}&{template:simple} {{rname=^{stealth-u}}} {{mod=@{stealth_bonus}}} {{r1=[[@{d20}+3[Proficiency]-1[dexterity]@{pbd_safe}]]}}  {{query=1}} ?{Advantage?|Normal Roll,&#123&#123normal=1&#125&#125 &#123&#123r2=[[0d20|Advantage,&#123&#123advantage=1&#125&#125 &#123&#123r2=[[@{d20}|Disadvantage,&#123&#123disadvantage=1&#125&#125 &#123&#123r2=[[@{d20}} +3[Proficiency]-1[dexterity]@{pbd_safe}]]}} {{global=@{global_skill_mod}}} @{charname_output} You have to replace the bolded portion of either example with  {{query=1}} {{advantage=1}} {{r2=[[@{d20}  so it would then read something like this: @{wtype}&{template:simple} {{rname=^{stealth-u}}} {{mod=@{stealth_bonus}}} {{r1=[[@{d20}+3[Proficiency]-1[dexterity]@{pbd_safe}]]}}  {{query=1}} {{advantage=1}} {{r2=[[@{d20} +3[Proficiency]-1[dexterity]@{pbd_safe}]]}} {{global=@{global_skill_mod}}} @{charname_output}" I did like explained and it worked for getting permanent advantage on stealth checks... as long as I unequipped the armor. When it's equipped I get just rolls with disadvantage again... Is there any way to get this problem solved?! Or do I have to delete the disadvantage property in the attribute of the armor to get this solved? But when he changes to Armor Model Guardian the stealth disadvantages are needed again. I hope there's any solution for this. (Sry for my bad english, it's not my native language.)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
My suggestion, especially for a case like this is to turn on "Always Roll Advantage". This will roll 2 dice on every d20 roll. If there is no advantage or disadvantage, always choose the one on the left. If there is a  advantage or disadvantage case, just pick the higher or lower roll appropriately.

Edited 1675462262
Gauss
Forum Champion
Another solution is the following:  1) Create two instances of the armor in the player's gear 2) Label the first instance (g) for Guardian 3) Label the second instance (i) for Infiltrator 4) Edit the Infiltrator armor to remove the disadvantage.  To do this click the little "i" on the armor, then remove the following from the mods line: "Stealth:Disadvantage" 5) In the character sheet settings section (cog next to spells) checkmark the "Ignore Non-Equipped Items Weight" box.  6) Make a skill macro  7) Add a whispered note at the end of the skill macro that Infiltrator armor cannot ever have Advantage or Disadvantage. (This is because advantage from Infiltrator cancels disadvantage from the armor, and any further instances of advantage and disadvantage are ignored.)
Damn, such an easy solution, but I couldn't get it. Thanks a lot at both. "Always Roll Advantage" would just bring confusion knowing me, so the second idea fits perfectly. Problem solved.