Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Shadowrun mechanics?

How well does this interface work for Shadowrun? I'm interested in setting up a game with IRL friends, but Shadowrun mechanics are, obviously, very different from D&D. I'm wondering how well this interface has worked for other chummers and if I might be better off keeping up with the mechanics IRL and using the interface more to share information than to actually facilitate.
In theory it should work great for Shadowrun; I haven't actually run a Shadowrun campaign yet on Roll20 but I've GM'd several campaigns IRL.  Some handy rolls/macros for gameplay are (assuming 4th Ed...I haven't played previous versions): Basic Success Count (5 dice): /roll 5d6>5 Character Macro (Str=3, Unarmed=2) /roll (@Str+@Unarmed)d6>5 Edge Roll (5 dice): /roll {5d6!}>5 Character Macro Edge (Str=3, Unarmed=2) /roll {(@Str+@Unarmed)d6!}>5 Everything else in Shadowrun is pretty much similar to DnD or doesn't really matter; you can handle initiative passes by adding multiple turns in the tracker, and everything else is pretty much a /roll xd6>5 roll.  If anything it's easier than DnD because everything is pretty much additive (no worrying about adding half again to Str for two-handed weapons, for example).  I found my RL Shadowrun combat usually got pretty bogged down with initiative passes and counting successes for all those actions; would have been nice to have had macros and a better tracker to speed things up. Your only real "challenge" is going to be finding the Shadowrun tiles if you aren't into making your own, assuming you want them.  There's plenty of sci-fi themed stuff out there and you can always just draw lines on a grid.  Otherwise I can't see any reason why Shadowrun would be an issue for Roll20. Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!
It works fantastically.  My group and I played SR pretty heavily on it for months, though we switched games for a while just before the updated macro mechanics went live.  In theory it should be a little easier now. I did a little guide for playing Shadowrun on Roll 20 - you can find it by going to help & Docs and then "system Specific guides" on the menu on the right.  Theoretically the new macro system should make it even easier, but I've not tested it out fully. I'd recommend making a complete character sheet with every attribute, skill and common macro, then duplicating it for each new player and NPC.  It takes a lot longer at first, but it'll really pay off. I suspect that you can also set up one of the little token bars to be a dice modifier and then call that in your macros, so you'd have /roll (@Str+@Unarmed+@Modifier)d6>5 . Last time I tried this, it didn't like negative modifiers, but that might have changed.
I'm running Shadowrun aswell. It works but I had to give up on using the dice roller for my GM-rolls/NPC. Each single roll just takes up so much space and spams the chat log something fierce. No matter the zoom or how wide you make the chat log you wont get 1 line per roll. Don't know if it's better or worse than any other game. But I find it annoying and confusing. Still, we're having tons of fun just the same! And yeah, it's lacking tiles, but also tokens.