Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

API was very glitchy tonight

It was rebooting about every 15 minutes for much of a 3 hour session. Played hell with a few things. Was there a problem globally or were my scripts going crazy, I have not added any scripts since last week when it ran fine.
and today what a laaaaaaagggggggg !!! 2mn (literraly) to open a character sheet, movements are slow as hell. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
al e. said: It was rebooting about every 15 minutes for much of a 3 hour session. Played hell with a few things. Was there a problem globally or were my scripts going crazy, I have not added any scripts since last week when it ran fine. There was a security patch last week which broke Autobuttons. That could cause any script after it in order to not load, giving unexpected results. If you are using AutoButtons, I would suggest disabling it until the next script merge, or updating to the new code from the thread.

Edited 1676838242
it's not that problem that makes everything laggy. it's not autobuttons that prevents to open a character sheet or move a token correctly. and even more, i don't have autobuttons...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I was quoting and responding al e, who started the thread and was talking about a glitchy API. :)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Lionel V. said: and today what a laaaaaaagggggggg !!! 2mn (literraly) to open a character sheet, movements are slow as hell.  Have you checked your browser's hardware acceleration lately? Some updates can cause it to reset without your intervention. Does the lag occur in other browsers? In a private browsing window? Are you using a VPN? These are common ways to track down the source of lag.
all the players playing with me today and our gm are experiencing the same. it's barely playable
I have a few scripts up, but autobuttons is not one of them. I will see if tonight's game goes better, it uses the same scripts and virtually the same maps etc.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Lionel V. said: all the players playing with me today and our gm are experiencing the same. it's barely playable Hmmm. Our game last night had no appreciable lag for any players. Did you try any of the suggestions? If they had no effect, perhaps the issue is in the content. Is the game played on an exceptionally large map? Or one with a significant DL setup? Does the DL make use of freehand lines? Sorry, from this vantage I can only make guesses and broad suggestions.
LArge map, but that was fine it was just the API rebooting constantly. Tonight it ran smoothly with the exact same setup, except for different players, I have to assume it was Roll20 related unless it happens again next week.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Sometimes things "just don't work". I've had dramatically different experiences when I can't think of a single thing that's changed. Fortunately, sometimes things "just do work". It's maddening, but when you are dealing with an app built from multiple code frameworks, running on multiple browsers, whose settings can't possibly be normalized across the user base, and calling data from hosted services (AWS, Google), running from multiple shards, on multiple versions of platforms, dramatically different hardware builds, situated in different countries with any number of ISPs (and more variables, I'm sure), I'm frankly amazed that any of it works. I'm just glad when it does, and try to find out why when it doesn't. Glad it worked for you tonight.