Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

single pay Android use

I have friends who only use Android tablets I'd love to get a game going with them but none of us is interested in extra monthly fees on our already large monthly bills. Interestingly enough each of us 4 in total have no problems paying up the cost of an average video game (50$) for a one time fee to use the roll 20 app at its basic features on Android devices. I think this is a missed opportunity by the developers to sell their app to a group willing to pay for it, just not every month.

Edited 1409408849
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
How do you feel about $50 one time per year? You could all chip in that $50 video game cost and buy your GM a subscription for a year ($49.99), and get tablet support for all the players.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Aaron said: How do you feel about $50 one time per year? You could all chip in that $50 video game cost and buy your GM a subscription for a year ($49.99), and get tablet support for all the players. Don't forget the ndynamic lighting and no ads loading either. I think subscribers get access to the vault storage for their character also (that might be only the subscriber though).
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Subscriber does get Character Valult, as well as no ads, dynamic lighting, Tablet support, and external journal access. Subscribe
There is a reason why we'd like to avoid paying 50 every year just for purposes of having it on an operating system we are comfortable with and currently own. Again the main draw for paying is the ability to use android devices. Certainly at least to get comfortable before we looked at advanced options. We've had campaigns that lasted 2 to 3 years. we've been playing since second edition d&d in 1994. Right now Lenovo is offering a new laptop with windows on their site for 250$. The Yearly fee for this app to play on android is 50$. Over a 2-3 year course we have to ask ourselves what is the better value, the app or the extra 100 to buy a system that can play it free and do a bunch of other things. That is the reason for this request. Certainly we don't mind paying for android, we'd just rather not have it add up to where we didn't need to.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
It is doubtful that tablet support will drop to free access any time soon and roll20 was built on the monthly subscription model. This is how the devs get their income. If they sold it at a one time price then once the ones that wanted to buy have spent their money, they would lose income unless they started selling the individual features singly. That would again run them into problems in the long run also. No matter how much people grumble. At this time their method is the best way unless someone can come up with a long term monetary plan that can incorporate single purchases instead of a monthly service.

Edited 1409447935
I'm not talking about features Pat I am talking about UI's. Android is on Laptops Tablets and Phones and customers can not even get used to basic features much less seeing if they want to pay for extra ones. It doesn't make sense to make parts of the app free to users of one UI and not other UI's. If it took them extra money to develop the other UI's I and others are willing to pay for it but a flat fee as opposed to a monthly fee for something the windows user are paying nothing for.
It actually does take additional development to make it work on android or ios. And if you use either of those platforms you have to use the specific browser that is supported on that platform. You cannot do everything in the mobile version that you can do in the desktop version(just like you cannot use all the features of a lot of desktop optimized websites in a mobile browser). The limitations aren't even just because of the browser, some are due to the way the underlying operating system works. I forget what the limits are(I know one was voice chat didn't work), but they have to do with the different ways that the browsers handle things. And none of the supported mobile browsers are staying the same. They are all being upgraded constantly, and some of those changes break the way roll20 works. The extra effort that goes into keeping the very few supported mobile browsers working is why the feature is subscription based. If it was as simple as just a few static UI changes, I think it would very likely be a free feature, but the way the software on mobile devices is right now....nope. Not gonna happen.