Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Printing a Character shee

Why is it that D&D is the only character sheet that can be printed out? Not everyone plays that game or likes it. What is the excuse that is being given that if we the players want to print out say a Rift's character sheet when can we do that? or play Monster of the Week. What stupid or lame excuse is being given, I haven't seen it or maybe I am blind to it. Everyone that is a dev or exec plays D&D, no one cares that the sheet prints great. There are other games out there that we would like to print out our character sheet. What are you telling the entire gaming world, to pay for the privilege of printing sheets? The character sheet is expressly said by game developers that they can be printed out for free use. 
B Simon Smith
Marketplace Creator
Many sheets lack features and capabilities because they are community creations, made by fans.  Printing sheets is also a relatively new feature implemented, and it's likely that printing 5e sheets part of the licensing deal that WotC has with Roll20, or Roll20 decided to implement it with the sheet that has the largest number of players first.
B Simon Smith said: Many sheets lack features and capabilities because they are community creations, made by fans.  Printing sheets is also a relatively new feature implemented, and it's likely that printing 5e sheets part of the licensing deal that WotC has with Roll20, or Roll20 decided to implement it with the sheet that has the largest number of players first. thanks, I know I shouldn't be surprised. Just a little disappointed. I probably read a little salty to didn't I? Sorry, it's late, I'm tired and gonna stop typing now. Have a good night.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
It does require coding to update sheets to be printer-friendly, and it can vary a lot between different sheets on how little or much work it will be. A majority of sheets on roll20 are community-made, so it's anyone's guess how long it takes for individual sheets to be updated, And even the publishers gonna need time and consider their resources on when/if they spend time on doing this update. I've started a few wiki pages: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheet_Development/Print-Friendly" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Character_Sheet_Development/Print-Friendly</a> <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Print-Friendly" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Print-Friendly</a> lists sheets that have the feature

Edited 1678648399
David
Sheet Author
Yappy0 said: Why is it that D&amp;D is the only character sheet that can be printed out? Not everyone plays that game or likes it. What is the excuse that is being given that if we the players want to print out say a Rift's character sheet when can we do that? or play Monster of the Week. What stupid or lame excuse is being given, I haven't seen it or maybe I am blind to it. Everyone that is a dev or exec plays D&amp;D, no one cares that the sheet prints great. There are other games out there that we would like to print out our character sheet. What are you telling the entire gaming world, to pay for the privilege of printing sheets? The character sheet is expressly said by game developers that they can be printed out for free use.&nbsp; A free account lamenting that someone has not spent hundreds of hours, for free,&nbsp; &nbsp;to sate their demands, how novel.&nbsp;
Gauss
Forum Champion
David said: Yappy0 said: Why is it that D&amp;D is the only character sheet that can be printed out? Not everyone plays that game or likes it. What is the excuse that is being given that if we the players want to print out say a Rift's character sheet when can we do that? or play Monster of the Week. What stupid or lame excuse is being given, I haven't seen it or maybe I am blind to it. Everyone that is a dev or exec plays D&amp;D, no one cares that the sheet prints great. There are other games out there that we would like to print out our character sheet. What are you telling the entire gaming world, to pay for the privilege of printing sheets? The character sheet is expressly said by game developers that they can be printed out for free use.&nbsp; A free account lamenting that someone has not spent hundreds of hours, for free,&nbsp; &nbsp;to sate their demands, how novel.&nbsp; I think it is more a lack of understanding what is involved than anything else.&nbsp;
Peter B.
Pro
Sheet Author
Yappy0 said: B Simon Smith said: Many sheets lack features and capabilities because they are community creations, made by fans.&nbsp; Printing sheets is also a relatively new feature implemented, and it's likely that printing 5e sheets part of the licensing deal that WotC has with Roll20, or Roll20 decided to implement it with the sheet that has the largest number of players first. thanks, I know I shouldn't be surprised. Just a little disappointed. I probably read a little salty to didn't I? Sorry, it's late, I'm tired and gonna stop typing now. Have a good night. A little salty? Yes. Understandable? Yes :) Just so you know, every sheet that does not end in "By Roll20" is maintained by someone in the community (who is paying Roll20 for the privilege of doing work for them). So it is paying customers who is spending their free time creating the vast majority of sheets. I myself maintain a sheet and I have stated to my community that I will not support this feature. You might be confused by this statement, but see it from my side. I have ideas and plans for my character sheet, features I want to make, and systems I want to support. Out of the blue, Roll20 drops Dark Mode. Now I suddenly have to put everything on hold to maintain a feature that I have no control over. Players will turn Dark Mode on, and just expect everything to work and when it doesn't they will blame me for it, because I am the maintainer. I didn't ask for Dark Mode and I didn't want it, but I am forced to maintain it anyways. Finally done with Dark Mode and back on track with the things that I actually want to spend my free time on and Roll20 drops Printable sheets. Luckily this time Roll20 added it as an Opt-in feature, allowing me to decide if I want to support it or not. Since it is my free time, and I want to use it on what I deem fun or what brings value to my life and my games, I decide to not support it. This is the divide between Sheet Authors and players. We have different goals and desires that when these don't align friction happen. Try to ask any random player what feature they wished Roll20 had, then ask the same question to a Sheet Author and I will bet all I have that the answers will be completely different.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Peter B. said: A little salty? Yes. Understandable? Yes :) Just so you know, every sheet that does not end in "By Roll20" is maintained by someone in the community (who is paying Roll20 for the privilege of doing work for them). So it is paying customers who is spending their free time creating the vast majority of sheets. I myself maintain a sheet and I have stated to my community that I will not support this feature. You might be confused by this statement, but see it from my side. I have ideas and plans for my character sheet, features I want to make, and systems I want to support. &lt;snip&gt; This is the divide between Sheet Authors and players. We have different goals and desires that when these don't align friction happen. Try to ask any random player what feature they wished Roll20 had, then ask the same question to a Sheet Author and I will bet all I have that the answers will be completely different. I thought I would interject a couple things here.&nbsp; First, I don't feel like I am paying Roll20 to do work for them.&nbsp; I could run the system I want to run without a sheet for it.&nbsp; I wrote my primary sheet for me, so I would have an easier time running games in my preferred system which would never have a sheet otherwise (the system/edition has been out of print since '94). I decided I was willing to share the resulting sheet for others that may find it useful. Either way, I would have the subscription for the transmogrifier (I would miss that more than scripts if I dropped my sub), so I don't really feel I am doing any work for them at all.&nbsp; There is also no guarantee that anyone else using my sheet is a subscriber, meaning that they may not be making any money off of the existence of my sheet.&nbsp; However, I totally agree that a sheet author isn't under any obligation to support a specific feature.&nbsp; I was fortunate that I mostly just needed to change font colors and then my sheet and roll templates just flat out ignore dark mode.&nbsp; I was already using colored backgrounds, with some rolls being customizable within sheet settings.&nbsp; I didn't try to emulate a paper sheet, since my favorite character sheets really wouldn't work worth anything digitally no matter how good they worked with a mechanical pencil and a good eraser.&nbsp; I also don't really intend to bother with the print function, since I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement on my particular sheet.&nbsp; If I do, it won't be until there is some decent documentation and publicly available sheet code of multiple sheets using it.&nbsp; And maybe not even then if it looks like it will be a real pain to implement.&nbsp; On the divide between players and sheet authors, it can be pretty wide.&nbsp; Sometimes people will blame something on a sheet that they don't understand about the dice roller or whatever.&nbsp; I have had people alter the wiki page for a sheet and include in their edits that I was lying about how the sheet I wrote works.&nbsp; That is the extreme end of the divide, but it exists.&nbsp; There are definite differences between the viewpoints of only using a sheet and having to figure out how to implement certain things on the code side to work within Roll20. To the OP, it is certainly alright to desire a feature.&nbsp; If you are using a community sheet and are willing to dive into the code side of things, reach out to the author and see about working together to bring the print feature to fruition.&nbsp; Otherwise, you might be able to print the sheet if you play with scaling in the print dialogue.&nbsp; It isn't something I have messed with, but remember that being brought up for the D&amp;D 5E sheet before any sort of print mode was in development.&nbsp; I want to say it was scaling to 80 or 85% for that particular sheet that worked relatively well, but that is just going from memory of something read on these forums quite a while ago.