Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Looking for mod to handle overland travel

I've looked at several of the existing mods, but I didn't discover any that clearly accomplish what I have in mind, so I thought I'd ask if others have ideas for how they would accomplish this. My campaign involves a lot of overland travel, and we use a non-gridded map. What I would like to be able to do is represent the party's location with a token on the non-gridded map, and then give them a daily movement budget based on terrain, weather, etc. The budget gets displayed to the players on the map as a circular region centered on their current location, with radius equal to their movement budget. The players can then drag their token to any location within the defined region, but they would be prevented from dragging the token outside of the defined region. The token is then locked at the new location until we resolve any encounters, and I give them the next day's movement budget. And so on. Not necessary, but a cool feature I'd like to be able to display, would be for each day's movement to be represented by adding a new segment to a path object that shows the party's entire journey.  Are there existing mods I could install that would allow me to accomplish this?
timmaugh
Pro
API Scripter
The circle could be handled using an aura on a token (probably not the party token, since you'd want to move that within the circle you would display). So you could have a party token, then a current-location token, and you'd put the aura on the current location token. Then you'd have a TokenMod command that, when run, would handle the math to set the radius of the aura and co-locate current-location token to the party token. Fetch can get the top and left properties of the party token, and it would work right in the TokenMod command line to feed those coordinates to the position argument that will move the current-location token. As for the math involved, that can be pretty straightforward, but really depends on how you will supply the component pieces. You could go as simple (but heavy on the user-interaction) as having them be all roll queries, or you could have them be stored in a table or a mule, and then have an automated process for dynamically constructing the equation. Those options could range from no script involvement to heavy metascript involvement to something completely different. Can you tell us more about the way you would arrive at the daily "budget" you spoke of? That would help us narrow down the best options.
OK, I can probably implement most of what you suggested. But is there anything in there to prevent  the party token from being moved outside the location aura? In most cases, I anticipate the party will want to move all the way to the edge of their movement budget--it would be nice if I could implement this so that if they drag to a location outside their radius, their token snaps to the nearest location on the circumference of the circle. As far as calculating the budget, at this point, the modifiers I have in mind are simple enough that I envisioned just inputting it manually. Base of 24 miles, subtract 6 if the terrain looks bad, subtract another six if the weather (rolled from a table) looks bad.
timmaugh
Pro
API Scripter
I'm not aware of a mod that handles that directly. I think Oosh just wrote something that would help with TokenMod (or was it Teleport?) intersecting with dynamic lighting lines, but that's not exactly what you have going. One option might be for you to reverse things and have the players have control over a token that doesn't emit light, and doesn't have an aura. This would be the "we want to move here" token. Without light, it shouldn't reveal the map (you might need to tweak a few more settings). Once they agree that that's where they want to move (and it's within the aura on their current-location token), you run the TokenMod command that will co-locate the current-location token to the "where we want to move" token... which has the proper light settings to reveal the map. You'd likely have to play with the settings that will make this work. Most of my games are light on interaction with the VTT in this way -- more theater of the mind -- but I think there's a way to make this work.
You also probably could use the dl darkness script. Normally it's for darkness spell but what it actually does is create a circle with a "wall" around it, tjud blocking movement and sight. There's an option for inside grid but you don't really want that.  So once your tokens are inside the circle, they can't get out of it.  Another option could be to use dynamic light recorder, another script.  If you use that you can create a token (maybe use an invisible circle?) , and record a path associated to it. Can be any path (wall, transparent wall etc....) Once this token and the path associated, you can drag it on the token layer, centered to where you want it and it will do what you're looking for. 
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
I thought there was a hex-explorer script? Am I not remembering that right?