Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Player Character Token Issue

Hello! I'm a player in a campaign, and recently I needed to update my token bc my character had a big physical change. The previous image I had would load onto the map with no issue, but I just uploaded the replacement image and when I tried to drag the token onto the map to test it, it is giving me the blue default icon instead.  I saw previous posts mentioning similar issues, but the ones I saw were in reference to DM's bringing monster tokens into the game, so I don't think I can use the same solution. I just uploaded the image for my token like normal, and am wondering if I'm missing something obvious like a button I forgot to click. I will also add I uploaded it without my DM, so if I just need to wait for her to do something behind the screen then that would also make sense. I'm just a bit confused overall and hoping for some help lol. Thank you! 
After uploading the token, it needs to be set as the default token for the character sheet. I’m not sure if you can do that yourself or that is a GM-only function. The token also needs to be set up in terms of linked bars, auras, nameplate, etc. 
Jarren said: After uploading the token, it needs to be set as the default token for the character sheet. I’m not sure if you can do that yourself or that is a GM-only function. The token also needs to be set up in terms of linked bars, auras, nameplate, etc.  They changed it so now the players can set their tokens themselves...
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
TheMarkus1204 said: They changed it so now the players can set their tokens themselves... Players can set the image.  They can't set anything beyond the image.  When you set an image (at least on a fresh sheet), the "Represents" isn't set, so you can't shift + double click the new token to bring up the sheet, and can't access any settings that Jarren mentioned.  Once the GM has set up the token, then it looks like the settings stay when a player changes the token image.  Basically, players only really have control of the image itself in my quick testing.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Correct, players were allowed to set the image so to circumvent the process of having to give a GM the artwork for the character etc.  This allows players to set their own artwork but GMs still control all of the rest of the process of setting up a token. 

Edited 1679442051
Andrew Searles
Roll20 Team
FireflyBlues said: Hello! I'm a player in a campaign, and recently I needed to update my token bc my character had a big physical change. The previous image I had would load onto the map with no issue, but I just uploaded the replacement image and when I tried to drag the token onto the map to test it, it is giving me the blue default icon instead.  I saw previous posts mentioning similar issues, but the ones I saw were in reference to DM's bringing monster tokens into the game, so I don't think I can use the same solution. I just uploaded the image for my token like normal, and am wondering if I'm missing something obvious like a button I forgot to click. I will also add I uploaded it without my DM, so if I just need to wait for her to do something behind the screen then that would also make sense. I'm just a bit confused overall and hoping for some help lol. Thank you!  Hey FireflyBlues, I'm really sorry you're having that problem. I've tested it out on my game and it seems to be working as expected. Maybe there's something that I'm missing. Can  you give me steps to reproduce the issue? Also for reference, here's a help article that talks about how to set a default token for a character. As others have mentioned it should work for players the same as it does for GMs. Let me know if you are still experiencing the issue and I'll see if I can dig in more!
Jarren said: After uploading the token, it needs to be set as the default token for the character sheet. I’m not sure if you can do that yourself or that is a GM-only function. The token also needs to be set up in terms of linked bars, auras, nameplate, etc.  Thank you for the help, that makes a lot of sense!