Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Custom Inventory Index cards?

I mocked up these rpg inventory cards in Libre Office, and in looking for software to do it so I could share with my players, one friend said Roll20 can, but had no idea how, he'd just seen it. I've looked a bit, can anyone direct me to a tutorial?
timmaugh
Pro
API Scripter
So, yesssssss.... you can do something like that... though there is a mighty big "but". I cannot lie. You can mock up something like that in Roll20, but the functionality it looks like you built in to that (the spinner controls) won't work... exactly. You have 2 places to present something like this (until they build a custom interactive form that we can manipulate). You can run it in chat, or you can run it in a handout. In chat, you'd be building the card and providing buttons for the spinners. Those buttons would be issuing commands to the Script Moderator, and you'd have a script ready to answer those calls. The panel you already output to chat would NOT update, but you could re-render the panel and send it to chat again. That can get spammy, so not everyone likes that. If you go this route, you are going to be working in javascript to render HTML output. In a handout, you get the benefit of not spamming the chat, and you can mimic the look of an interface updating in real time (to replicate the action of those spinner buttons, for instance). The spinners would still be buttons, and they would still be sending commands to your script on the backend, but this time you would be *re-drawing* the handout contents to change the look of the panel. In other words, you'd be updating it in place -- destroying the previous and rebuilding it. It would be seamless to your users/players, but that's the approach. On the other hand, if the spinner controls (live interaction) isn't as important and you're just about presenting information, then things get SIGNIFICANTLY easier. Something like ScriptCards can give you a nice output (including using Keith's excellent presentation templates), or you can use roll templates and plug in the data you want to share. InsertArg has a card output, letting you build information cards, too. But I would only do this if you were also running your game on Roll20. If you're not, then there are cloud office options that can let you share that functionality without the extra burden of the Roll20 learning curve. If you share what your cards represent, how much data you have, etc., we might be able to steer you to a good solution.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Just a note: All of the above methods would require the use of mod scripts, a Pro perk, plus some knowledge of javascript and html/css. You can display a simple report in chat with regular macros, but it would still require some significant up-front time to figure out how you are going to reference the correct items.
Pro, I see, and I wasn't necessarily planing to run on Roll20 due the inability to handle custom character sheets without Pro. The mention of "cloud office options that can let you share that functionality" is what I really am looking for, I want to have cards for all inventory items, and they can move them from their inventory to another player, the party's transportation, or storage options. Basically, I want to have a virtual tabletop shuffling index cards around.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can run a custom character sheet with 1 month of Pro. If you design the sheet to do what you want in that time. You only need pro while installing the sheet (and making several copies of the game for new campaigns). After pro experes, you can continue using the sheet, you just cant change it.