Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New Update 4/8: Auras below tokens, weighted rollable tables, new chat commands, and more!

There's a major new update out today for everyone. Here's the highlights: New Chat Commands We've introduced a few chat commands for you to use: /as and /emas (GM Only) These commands allows you to speak and emote "as" a character/NPC/whatever without having to create a Character entry in the Journal tab first. The syntax is: /as "Sir Bearington" I'm going to eat you for breakfast. /emas "Sir Bearington" charges at you! You can omit the quotes around the name if the name is just one word without any spaces.  /desc (GM Only) This command allows you to put whatever text you want into the chat box, without it being spoken by anyone. It's shown centered, bolded, and italicized (similar to an emote, but not orange). It's intended to use as a GM description, but you could use it for about anything. Syntax: /desc The old house begins to creak and moan... /ooc or /o  This command will always speak as your out-of-character display name (the first name in your "Speaking As" list), regardless of what you have selected in the Speaking As drop-down.  Example: /ooc I could really use another Red Bull right now. Chat Avatars We've also just added little mini avatar icons to the chat. It will use the portrait image for the Character if you have the Character selected in the "Speaking As" dropdown, otherwise it will use your own avatar. Let us know if you like it! If you really hate it, there's an option under My Settings to uncheck called "Enable chat avatars". Dice/Rollable Tables Weighted Rollable Tables: A "weight" metric has been added to the Rollable Table items. The default is 1. You can think of it as "number of times this item occurs in the table." You can also think of it as a percentage as long as all your weights add up to 100. The rollable tables will now use the NAME converted to a NUMBER as the value for the roll. So if you put text in the box it's going to be "0" always. But if you put a number as the name of the item (e.g. "1" or "-1") it will correctly detect that and use that as the value when you roll. You can still use images/icons as well. Dice results in the chat log have been slightly re-formatted. Now the result total will always appear on the line BELOW the individual rolls, and the font is larger so it's easier to quickly find/read. Also it now better supports rollable table items with really long names. Dynamic Lighting Dim Light Radius: There is an additional field for Dim Light in the token settings for Dynamic Lighting, next to the "Emits Light" box. The box on the left is now the "Light Radius" box (works the same as before). In addition you can now put an additional value in the right-hand box, and we'll use that as the radius at which the "Dim" part of the light should start. If you leave it blank it will just keep doing what it was doing before (which is for the Dim light to start at 75% of the total radius). We've further improved the rendering performance of dynamic lighting in general. Rendering/Graphical Auras are now rendered BELOW everything else on the same layer as the token. So if you have auras on your tokens on the Tokens/Objects layer, they will render below all other objects on that layer, but ABOVE the stuff on the map layer.  Misc The Chat Archive has been improved, it should now load more quickly. We're still working to improve this for campaigns that have a very large chat log. In addition, the Fog of War now renders before anything else (right after the canvas is cleared for a re-draw), so there should no longer be an issue where you can quickly pan around the map and see what's under the FoW before it has a chance to render. Zoom has been further improved, especially when you do Alt+Mousewheel zoom. Alt+Mousewheel zoom should now work in Firefox (previously it only worked in Safari/Chrome). Plus I'm sure other stuff I forgot. Enjoy! Note: Rollable Tables and Dynamic Lighting features are only available to paid subscribers.
As usual please let us know if you run into any new issues with the update. Thanks!
Woohoo! My crit/fumble rollable tables are pretty now, my players get to utilize dim lighting in the cavern encounter this week, and zooming is smooth like butter. Great update.
0_0 Great work by the Dev team to get this stuff out!  I can't wait to try some of the stuff.
Is there any link to more info regarding the Dice/Rollable Tables / Weighted Rollable Tables ? I probably missed previous updates and don't get what it's all about...
I'm with the DM above - how do we take advantage of these things?
Info here:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/85704/#post-85704" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/85704/#post-85704</a> I think there's also a help doc that should be available soon.&nbsp; <a href="http://help.roll20.net/rollable-tables/" rel="nofollow">http://help.roll20.net/rollable-tables/</a>
An excellent update with some very useful features. Thank you! Purely from personal preference, though, I'd prefer it if descriptive text was left-justified. The bold italic look is fine in itself. I just don't like reading blocks of centred text. The centre justification is OK for the emotes, particularly with the avatar picture, as these are usually shortish sentences, but a descriptive passage is likely to be longer. It may just be me though... ;-)
I'm so dyslexic I read your name as Skype.&nbsp; Great update as usuall, can't wait to implement.&nbsp;
Thanks for the updates! Spyke said: An excellent update with some very useful features. Thank you! Purely from personal preference, though, I'd prefer it if descriptive text was left-justified. The bold italic look is fine in itself. I just don't like reading blocks of centred text. The centre justification is OK for the emotes, particularly with the avatar picture, as these are usually shortish sentences, but a descriptive passage is likely to be longer. It may just be me though... ;-) No, not just you.
Yeah, I'd prefer /desc to be left aligned as well.
I personally like desc to be in the middle. Perhaps it's just from using MapTool for so long before coming to roll20, but it's what I'm used to. No matter how the formatting ends up, though, I'm just glad that we have finally have /desc! My games are going to run so much better because of this.
Hey, love the update. Everything seems to be working, though I wanted to make a request: The dynamic lighting\fog of war tools seem to make excessive usage of the square grid. Can the hex grid users get some love? Here's an example: I have a large hex map being used for overworld travel for a sandbox game. I want to reveal hexes as they travel. Right now, the only way for me to do it on a hex-by-hex basis is to use the polygon tool, but when I press shift for "Snap to grid", guess which grid it uses? If you said "The square one!" you just got +500 experience and a coupon for a free cookie down at the Cthulhu Creamery on 23rd Ave.
James W. said: I personally like desc to be in the middle. Perhaps it's just from using MapTool for so long before coming to roll20, but it's what I'm used to. The best solution would be a setting that allowed us to choose our own preference. This could apply to all chat entries, you wouldn't need a separate one for emotes, etc.
Excellent update. I love it. +1
Love the updates, disappointed still that there isn't a section of notes on tokens that is visible for players. It's something I would love to use for overworld map markers so players could click on a token to see what is known about the place and leave their own notes.
In addition, the Fog of War now renders before anything else (right after the canvas is cleared for a re-draw), so there should no longer be an issue where you can quickly pan around the map and see what's under the FoW before it has a chance to render Now that is awesome Riley! Will it work even with old maps or just with those created after the patch? Overall a very good update, love the /desc function already. :)
Spyke said: James W. said: I personally like desc to be in the middle. Perhaps it's just from using MapTool for so long before coming to roll20, but it's what I'm used to. The best solution would be a setting that allowed us to choose our own preference. This could apply to all chat entries, you wouldn't need a separate one for emotes, etc. You could do all options :) /descleft /descright /descmiddle /desccenter /desc (default)