Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Blade Runner - Character Sheet - problems with Pushing

We have started playing Blade Runner (and are happy!), and are on our 2nd session now. We are using the Blade Runner character sheet (very cool! Thanks!), but have one issue: • When we Push (hitting the button at the bottom of a dice roll result), we get the following text: TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'substring') And there is no Pushed roll made (no results etc.). • Also, we cannot see what the results of the different rolled dice were. We "only" see the number of successes ( which is great! ), but cannot hover the cursor over anything to see what each dice was (which would help to manually do the Push roll). We are one GM & 4 players (I am 'only' a player) so I imagine we are using various computers & systems, and we all have the same issue. But I can give more information about this if needed. Are we doing something super simple wrong? (if so, sorry for the bother) Can the GM tweak/select something to solve this?

Edited 1679941770
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi Eric, I'm one of the sheet authors for Sigil Services which made the Blade Runner sheet for Free League. Thank you for the detailed report! Unfortunately, I can't replicate this in my live test game of the sheet. Can I ask some additional follow up questions? What button are you using to send the initial roll? e.g. force or a weapon? Is this on all character sheets in the game?
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Oh, and one final request, could you join my test game and use the character vault to import one of the problem sheets from your game into it? I'll then try replicating based on the info to the above questions with your imported sheet.
Hi! Thanks for your answer! (and thanks for the cool sheet in the first place!) Is this on all character sheets in the game? Correct. I am not the GM so if needed I can ask for more info'. But I am quite sure the GM purchased the Roll20 Blade Runner package (via the pre-purchase/crowdfunding I think). ie. we all have access to the Compendium. So, we players have our character sheets made in the game, on Roll20 (using the Blade Runner sheet, the one with 3 tabs on the top: Blade Runner / Shift Log / Vehicle). What button are you using to send the initial roll? e.g. force or a weapon So, the rolls I was talking about were all made by clicking on the Skill Button. For example I click STEALTH (and get 0 successes) or OBSERVATION (and get 2 successes). So, we get the nice 'box' with the name on top, the number of successes to the left, and the Push button. I just tested w. a weapon (.357 Compact) and got the 'box' (with 2 successes!), but, there too, when I click PUSH (but also when I click DAMAGE) I get: TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'substring') I will join your test game and import my character right now. Thanks a lot for your time!
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Thank you! and one final final question. Is your group playing a homebrew adventure or one of the premade ones? and if so which one?
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Thanks for importing your character Eric. I'm seeing the same behavior you are with your character, although not with new characters I make. Still not sure what's going on, but this is an important piece for figuring out the issue. I'll keep you updated here as we figure this out and fix it.
Thanks a lot for your time! (as a secondary question: with many other sheets, one can see which specific dice were rolled when hovering the cursor over the 'box' that shows the results - if you understand what I mean? - is that something that can be done for Blade Runner?)
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
That is what is supposed to be displayed in the roll output. Just not sure why your sheet isn't doing it.
Okay! Got it. Thanks...

Edited 1681062998
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi Eric, Thanks for being patient while I investigated this. I've found the issue. It may take a bit for me to find a fix for the issue, but I do have a workaround for you in the meantime. The problem is that using certain characters in a character's name will interfere with the push button generation and/or Roll20's chat syntax. These characters include [ , ] , ( , ) , and | . While I figure out the best way to sanitize character names to allow for full functionality, you can get full functionality out of your game by changing your character name to Annalee - Eric C . EDIT: I should also note that there may not be a fix for this, and these characters might have to just be invalid for use in the character name.
What, you'd have me change my name?! NEVER!   (<--joking) Thanks so very much! For your time, and for solving this. I tested it and it works super well (and we can see the result of each die etc.). It is like discovering a cool dice roller! I also saw that all the players had their real names in parenthesis... duh ((( Thanks for the sheet in the first place, for your reactivity & work on solving the issue!
I'd just like to add onto this, I'm currently setting up my own game and found the same issue however the character which was causing it was the speech marks " character. I'd put this into the names of the Replicant character sheets, e.g. 'LH3-7.93 "Leah"' and it was throwing the errors when I was testing. I'm not familiar with development on Roll20, but if this issue cannot be fixed, perhaps having the character sheet show an error message in some way when these problematic characters are used could warn people to avoid including them?

Edited 1682245763
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Avan do the errors go away if you use only one set of quotes, like LH3-7.93 "Leah" LH3-7.93 'Leah' (Or were you only one set and added the other for this post?)