Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Darkvision and infrared sight + red colours being invisible as per the D&D 5e rules

Hi, I've been trying to make tokens with darkvision not see red colours by colouring the darkvision, but it seems this isn't doing the trick. I guess using a dark blue tint works better than a red tint, but I'm slightly colour blind as well so I don't trust what my eyes see. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong, or if this is a case of "it works in the 5e rules but not on roll20"? Thanks
why not keep it "transparent" as it is default? cause that will eventually show things in grey hues.
Novercalis said: why not keep it "transparent" as it is default? cause that will eventually show things in grey hues. If you know something I don't, do tell, because without tint colour in Nocturnal that just makes the colours brighter.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You can tint the vision gray, but that is really just putting a ~35% transparent gray flood over the vision. It is not actually tinting anything. I.e. it is not changing any color values. To do so would require a different rendering method for this feature—a filter rather than an overlay. This is the second time I have seen this brought up recently, so it's probably worth a suggestion. As a technical explanation* of what's going on: Light and vision don't actually illuminate anything. You place a map down, and dynamic lighting automatically darkens the image by the desired amount. "Light" and "Vision" are just masks that let you look through the darkness at the normal map underneath. When you turn on explorer Mode, the "hidden areas" are just a another layer that is basically a grayscale version of the map. I don't know if this is done with a filter (in which case grayscale vision would be theoretically possible, though I have no idea how difficult), or if it is a generated image with a dynamic alpha channel (transparency mask). *My understanding of it, anyway.
I'll be sure to suggest this then! I was looking forward to making the "red being invisible in darkvision" a part of a dungeon room. Interesting, it would seem like implementing a greyscaling in darkvision shouldn't be that hard then - just copy how revealed parts of the map work and have that revealing be actively expanded by the character's darkvision - the complication being that tokens need to be seen, of course.