Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Explaination Lacking in Wiki, small question

Edited 1680119097
Edit: Question Answered This is potentially a dumb question but if someone would be so kind. When looking through the macro guides and the wiki there's a moment where suddenly the command &{noerror} just sort of appears. My question is, what the heck does the & represent? ?, @, and # are explained but not & and its driving me insane. 
Gauss
Forum Champion
&{noerror} is a command that tells the system to ignore any errors that pop as a result of the macro.  A note about it though, it sometimes won't shut off errors unless it is wrapped in another macro and that macro has the &{noerror} command.  As for what the "&" means, it is probably just a symbol that tells the system to pay attention to the thing that follows as a certain type of command. However, I am not a coder so a coder will have to explain it in more backend detail. 

Edited 1680094229
The ampersand ‘&’ symbol gets used as a flag for character sheet templates, turn tracker, and the ‘noerror’ feature. I believe those are the only places it’s used currently within Roll20.  Edit: Forgot the Turn Tracker. 
From going through the wiki I am starting to think that it is maybe a tag to signal specific roll20 items? It's used in calling a template in &{{template:default}} and for adding a roll to the turn tracker so maybe it's specifically for calling roll20 internal tools/design /format?  I appreciate the responses. Idk, this is just bugging me. Knowing what it means just helps me understand why I would use it and remember to use this symbol VS anything else. 

Edited 1680068818
Gauss
Forum Champion
I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's use is very specific to a few things. Those things will be things you will know you are wanting to use such as templates, noerror, and the turn tracker command.  Basically, you see a use you need to use, you use the command it requires. :)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Jarren said: The ampersand ‘&’ symbol gets used as a flag for character sheet templates and the ‘noerror’ feature. I believe that’s the only place it’s used currently within Roll20.  &{tracker}, &{tracker:+}, and &{tracker:-} also use this formation. [ wiki ]
Thanks everyone, I think I can close this thread now. I appreciate the answers.