Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Having a problem with markers covering too much of a token

I have tried resizing the scale of my map, but that has not changed things. How do I fix thing? Can I fix this?
Hi Mondo, when you say covering too much, are you saying there is a change in what you have previously experienced, or are you saying you feel markers cover too much and always have?  Could you upload a pic to show what you're experiencing?
On some maps the marker is neatly in the corner, allowing a look at the token. In other maps, the marker covers 2/3rds or more of the token. I figured the difference is the map itself. But adjust the map scale does not seem to help. 
Gauss
Forum Champion
Are the grid settings 0.5 on the maps where the tokens have an issue?  Could you provide a screenshot? 
I never use the grid, I always turn it off.

Edited 1680219498
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Even with the grid turned off, it still exists, since it is the basis for the measurement system. It just doesn't display and nothing snaps to it. Setting the Cell Width to something other than 1 is what affects the token markers and radial menu interface. If set to 0.5 for instance, standard sized tokens will scale to 35px when dropped for instance, but the interface elements are a fixed size. If this is the case, or if just manually sizing tokens to what looks right for a given map, the markers will display in an unpredictable fashion.

Edited 1680220594
keithcurtis said: Even with the grid turned off, it still exists, since it is the basis for the measurement system. It just doesn't display and nothing snaps to it. Setting the Cell Width to something other than 1 is what affects the token markers and radial menu interface. If set to 0.5 for instance, standard sized tokens will scale to 35px when dropped for instance, but the interface elements are a fixed size. If this is the case, or if just manually sizing tokens to what looks right for a given map, the markers will display in an unpredictable fashion. Is there a solution, or not? I turned the grid on, set it to -5, saved, turned off the grid...no change.
Gauss
Forum Champion
By the looks of it you have very small tokens, which is what Keith was referencing. The interface elements of the token do not scale with the token, so they look large compared to the token. Whenever you go to smaller than 70 by 70 pixel tokens it may cause issues.  The solution is to increase the token's size to 70 by 70 pixels, which probably necessitates resizing the map appropriately.  Alternately, you can use an art program to pad your token so that when you drop it in the game it looks small but is really 70 by 70pixels or greater.

Edited 1680232690
OK, I'll try changing the default setting to input a larger pog, and see how that goes. (EDIT) Nope, no change. Looks like its not going to be fixable.

Edited 1680233096
Gauss
Forum Champion
Mondo said: OK, I'll try changing the default setting to input a larger pog, and see how that goes. (EDIT) Nope, no change. Looks like its not going to be fixable. What default setting are you referencing? 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Mondo, can you send screen shots of the settings you are trying? And the method you are using to set and save default tokens and their sizes? I have a feeling there is a communication problem at the root here.
Gauss said: What default setting are you referencing?  The game settings before you launch a game.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Grid is set by the page setting. The out of game settings page affects the default for new pages. And there are some other issues based on what you've posted that are making it difficult for us to suggest fixes. " I turned the grid on, set it to -5, saved, turned off the grid...no change", for example. What setting did you set? Cell size, Scale? Also, "-5" is a setting that would not work. We were talking about "Cell Size", which basically subdivides the grid. Cell Size 1 means that a medium token is dragged in at 70px width, to match the grid. Cell Size 0.5 sets the size of a medium default token to 35 pixels. Screen shots of the in-game page setting for the problem map would help. But the basic underlying issue is that if you want the token markers to take up less space on the token, you have to make the tokens larger.